Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question with regards to self-study

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    I am curious as to which disciplines of mathematics should I focus on before pursuing my degree in Astrophysics?

Quick background on myself: I have spent the last 9 years in the Air Force working as a linguist. I have about 18 months left before my service commitment ends. I am putting together a self-study program for myself in order to have a solid foundation of knowledge before beginning my studies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

one variable calculus, severel variable calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra.
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Check the course outline for the degree program you want to take. Then go to a used text book site and get your hands on the books in that course. Make sure you are able to get work books and supplements that have the answers worked out. In that way you can go over the same problems over and over again and understand the underlying patterns.

Enigma Valdez
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    I'd also throw in complex analysis and differential equations; both are extremely useful if you want to do any sort of physics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?