Best trigonometry books for beginners and self study

In summary, for those looking to teach themselves trigonometry, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of Intermediate Algebra and to consider purchasing a college standard textbook from used-book sales or online resources such as OpenStax or Schaums Outlines. Jan Gullbergs' Birth of Numbers book may also serve as a helpful supplemental resource.
BadgerBadger92
I am teaching myself math and wondering if any of you have recommendations on trigonometry books for beginners and self study. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of a book, have you looked at Khan Academy?

Likes smodak
BadgerBadger92 said:
I am teaching myself math and wondering if any of you have recommendations on trigonometry books for beginners and self study. Any help is appreciated!
As long as you have very successfully studied Intermediate Algebra, then just about any college standard textbook for a course on Trigonometry should be fine for anyone to use in self-study. You should be able to find something suitable from some used-book sales such as from a local library or from the library at a community college. I recommend that way, because the prices of what are found there should be much less than $5 per book. An example of what you could use may be the Larson & Hostetler textbook "Trigonometry". If you try to buy the same thing on Barnes & Noble, the price as "used" may be there over $60.

Some other supplemental resources are:
- the free OpenStax textbooks on math,
- Schaums Outlines on Trigonometry
- Jan Gullbergs Birth of Numbers book which has a lot of historical side lights and a section on trigonometry as well as other math topics.

1. What are the best trigonometry books for beginners?

Some of the best trigonometry books for beginners include "Trigonometry for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Trigonometry Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen, and "Trigonometry: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Rachel Hill.

2. Are there any self-study trigonometry books available?

Yes, there are several self-study trigonometry books available, such as "Trigonometry: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin and "Trigonometry: A Self-Teaching Guide" by P. Abbott.

3. Do these books require any prior knowledge of trigonometry?

Most of the beginner and self-study trigonometry books assume little to no prior knowledge of trigonometry. However, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before diving into trigonometry.

4. Are these books suitable for all ages?

Yes, most of these books are suitable for all ages, as long as the reader has a basic understanding of algebra and geometry. However, some books may be geared towards a specific age group or learning level, so it is important to read reviews and descriptions before purchasing.

5. Can these books be used as a supplement to a trigonometry course?

Yes, these books can be used as a supplement to a trigonometry course. They can provide additional practice and explanations for difficult concepts. However, it is always best to consult with a teacher or professor to ensure that the book aligns with the course material.