1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick simple set theory question

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a set and ≥ be a binary relation on X
    Provide a mathematical definition for

≥ is reflexive
    ≥ is symmetric
    ≥ is transistive
    ≥ is antisymmetric
    X is a lattice

The attempt at a solution

So i'm not really sure what this is asking... specifically if ≥ is supposed to be some sort of variable he chose or if i'm missing something and the greater than or equal than means something. But in any case is this this asking me to state the general rules for binary relations? I.E. for reflexive that for any x[itex]\in[/itex]X, xRx? I'm a little confused about what my format to show the definition is in regards to X and ≥

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Just state the definitions and substitute ≥ for R. So reflexive means x≥x for all x in X.

4. May 1, 2013 #3
    Awesome cool. So to confirm,for symmetric:

For any x,y[itex]\in[/itex]X, x≥y ----> y≥x is sufficient?

5. May 1, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think so. That will not likely be true if you read '≥' to mean 'greater than or equal to', but that looks like what the question is asking for. Just provide the mathematical definition.

6. May 1, 2013 #5
    Okay thanks. He words it exactly as I wrote it out. I just found it a little weird that he uses ≥... but you must be right because in the next question he asks ≥ to be defined by "....." (a condition) so I guess it's just his choice of variable..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted