Finding a set and an injection

In summary, if you can find a set and an injective function from a group into itsSym(x), then you can make an injection between two groups.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group. I need to find a set ##X## and an injective function from ##G## into ##Sym(X)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty with this problem, and I want to make sure I understand exactly what it is asking.
If I understand the question correctly, we have some group ##G##, and we want to find some set ##X## and create some mapping (specifically, an injection) which associates the elements in ##G## with the elements in ##Sym(X)##, so that we can clearly see that the elements of ##G##, along with its binary operator ##\star##, form functions?

Here are some ideas: I am pretty certain that I need to choose an ##X## such that ##Sym(X)## is at least as large as, if not greater than, ##G##. I know that the binary operator ##\star## is actually a function, so could I base my injection off of this? I have this suspicion that ##G=X## would work, but I can't quite figure it out.

EDIT: I also know that ##(Sym(X), \circ)## forms a group, so I am basically trying to find an injection between two different groups.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group. I need to find a set ##X## and an injective function from ##G## into ##Sym(X)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty with this problem, and I want to make sure I understand exactly what it is asking.
If I understand the question correctly, we have some group ##G##, and we want to find some set ##X## and create some mapping (specifically, an injection) which associates the elements in ##G## with the elements in ##Sym(X)##, so that we can clearly see that the elements of ##G##, along with its binary operator ##\star##, form functions?

Here are some ideas: I am pretty certain that I need to choose an ##X## such that ##Sym(X)## is at least as large as, if not greater than, ##G##. I know that the binary operator ##\star## is actually a function, so could I base my injection off of this? I have this suspicion that ##G=X## would work, but I can't quite figure it out.

EDIT: I also know that ##(Sym(X), \circ)## forms a group, so I am basically trying to find an injection between two different groups.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, take G=X. Associate an element of the group g with the mapping g:X->X defined by g(x)=gx. Is that an element of Sym(G)?

Wait. From which set does ##g## come from? Are you saying that it is in ##G##, or in ##Sym(G)##?

Bashyboy said:
Wait. From which set does ##g## come from? Are you saying that it is in ##G##, or in ##Sym(G)##?

g is in G.

Okay. So, let me reiterate things, to see if I understand fully. We want to find a set ##X## and ##\pi## such that ##\pi : G \mapsto Sym(X)## is an injective map. We let ##X=G##, and so ##Sym(G)## consists of all the bijective functions acting over the elements of ##G##; that is, ##Sym(G) = \{\theta_1 , \theta_2, \theta_3,... \}##, where ##\theta_1 : G \mapsto G##, ##\theta_2 : G \mapsto G##, etc.

Let ##g \in G## be arbitrary. I need to find an element in ##Sym(G)## to which ##\pi## can map it. If ##g \in G##, then there exists a mapping ##\theta \in Sym(G)## such that

##\theta : g \mapsto a## or ##\theta(g) = a##, where ##a \in G## is unique, because ##\theta## is a bijection. So,

##\pi : g \mapsto \theta (g)##

##\pi : g \mapsto a##.

So, ##\pi## will actually map ##g## to a unique element in ##G##.

This is where I am not certain of what I can conclude. In fact, I am not certain if any of what I said is valid. Could you pick apart my work?

Bashyboy said:
Okay. So, let me reiterate things, to see if I understand fully. We want to find a set ##X## and ##\pi## such that ##\pi : G \mapsto Sym(X)## is an injective map. We let ##X=G##, and so ##Sym(G)## consists of all the bijective functions acting over the elements of ##G##; that is, ##Sym(G) = \{\theta_1 , \theta_2, \theta_3,... \}##, where ##\theta_1 : G \mapsto G##, ##\theta_2 : G \mapsto G##, etc.

Let ##g \in G## be arbitrary. I need to find an element in ##Sym(G)## to which ##\pi## can map it. If ##g \in G##, then there exists a mapping ##\theta \in Sym(G)## such that

##\theta : g \mapsto a## or ##\theta(g) = a##, where ##a \in G## is unique, because ##\theta## is a bijection. So,

##\pi : g \mapsto \theta (g)##

##\pi : g \mapsto a##.

So, ##\pi## will actually map ##g## to a unique element in ##G##.

This is where I am not certain of what I can conclude. In fact, I am not certain if any of what I said is valid. Could you pick apart my work?

You are thinking of it way too abstractly. My hint is to point out that for any g in G the map f from G->G defined by f(x)=gx is a bijection. Prove that first. Then think about the overall problem.

Last edited:
Are you saying that I need to demonstrate that ##f(x) = g \star x## is a bijection, where ##x \in G##, I presume? So, the function/map ##f## is defined in terms of the operator ##\star##? Well, the binary operator ##\star## is well-defined, so it maps uniquely; and because ##\star## has closure, the binary operator, and therefore the function ##f##, will map every element ##G## to some element in ##G##.

Bashyboy said:
Are you saying that I need to demonstrate that ##f(x) = g \star x## is a bijection, where ##x \in G##, I presume? So, the function/map ##f## is defined in terms of the operator ##\star##? Well, the binary operator ##\star## is well-defined, so it maps uniquely; and because ##\star## has closure, the binary operator, and therefore the function ##f##, will map every element ##G## to some element in ##G##.

You also have to show it's one-to-one and onto to show it's a bijection.

Don't closure and being well-defined demonstrate that it's one-to-one and onto? Closure means that every element in G gets mapped to G, so f maps the elements of G onto G; and well-defined means that it takes ##g \star x## to a unique element in G.

Bashyboy said:
Don't closure and being well-defined demonstrate that it's one-to-one and onto? Closure means that every element in G gets mapped to G, so f maps the elements of G onto G; and well-defined means that it takes ##g \star x## to a unique element in G.

That just tells you f is a function. How is that supposed to imply that it's one to one or onto? Say how those are defined and spell it out in detail. You need to use that G is a group, not just that * is a binary operator. Saying f maps G TO G is not the same thing as saying f maps G ONTO G. What's the difference?

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Let ##g \in G## be some arbitrary element. The function we have defined is ##f(x) = g \star x##, which maps elements from ##G## to the same set.

If the function is injective, then ##f(x) = f(y) \implies x = y ~\forall x,y \in G##. Let ##x,y \in G## be arbitrary; and let us suppose that ##f(x) = f(y)##, and see whether this leads to ##x=y##.

##f(x) = f(y) \iff g \star x = g \star y##. Using the cancellation law, we get ##x = y##. Therefore, it is injective.

If the function is surjective, then ##f## should take every element ##b \in G## in the range and associate it with some element in the domain. Let ##b \in G## be some arbitrary element.

##b = f(x) \implies b = g \star x##. Because ##g \in G##, then ##g^{-1} \in G##. Multiplying both sides by this, we get

##g^{-1} \star b = x##. By closure of ##\star## over ##G##, ##g^{-1} \star b## is some element in ##G##, which is the domain of ##f##; because ##x## is equal to this element, we have found that there does in fact exist an ##x## in the domain which is associated with ##b## in the range.

How does this appear?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, okay. Let ##g \in G## be some arbitrary element. The function we have defined is ##f(x) = g \star x##, which maps elements from ##G## to the same set.

If the function is injective, then ##f(x) = f(y) \implies x = y ~\forall x,y \in G##. Let ##x,y \in G## be arbitrary; and let us suppose that ##f(x) = f(y)##, and see whether this leads to ##x=y##.

##f(x) = f(y) \iff g \star x = g \star y##. Using the cancellation law, we get ##x = y##. Therefore, it is injective.

If the function is surjective, then ##f## should take every element ##b \in G## in the range and associate it with some element in the domain. Let ##b \in G## be some arbitrary element.

##b = f(x) \implies b = g \star x##. Because ##g \in G##, then ##g^{-1} \in G##. Multiplying both sides by this, we get

##g^{-1} \star b = x##. By closure of ##\star## over ##G##, ##g^{-1} \star b## is some element in ##G##, which is the domain of ##f##; because ##x## is equal to this element, we have found that there does in fact exist an ##x## in the domain which is associated with ##b## in the range.

How does this appear?

Much better. Now you have a correspondence between every element g of G and a bijection of G->G. That's an element of Sym(G), yes? Now you just want to prove that correspondence is an injection.

So, I need to prove that ##\pi : g \mapsto f(x)## is an injection; that is, ##\pi (g) = f(x)##?

Let ##a,b \in G## be arbitrary. Let us suppose that ##\pi(a) = \pi(b)##.

##\pi(a) = \pi(b) \iff##

## a \star x = b \star x## Using the cancellation law,

##a = b##.

Is this right?

Would it be less ambiguous if we wrote ##f(x)## as ##f_g(x)##?

Bashyboy said:
So, I need to prove that ##\pi : g \mapsto f(x)## is an injection; that is, ##\pi (g) = f(x)##?

Let ##a,b \in G## be arbitrary. Let us suppose that ##\pi(a) = \pi(b)##.

##\pi(a) = \pi(b) \iff##

## a \star x = b \star x## Using the cancellation law,

##a = b##.

Is this right?

Would it be less ambiguous if we wrote ##f(x)## as ##f_g(x)##?

The idea is right. The notation is pretty messy. Sure, make it ##f_g(x)=g \star x##. So ##\pi(g)=f_g##.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements. These elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

2. How do you find a set?

To find a set, you need to identify the common characteristics or properties of the objects or elements you want to include in the set. Then, you can list them inside curly braces { } to create the set.

3. What is an injection?

An injection, also known as an injective function, is a type of function that maps each element in the domain to a unique element in the range. This means that no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

4. How do you create an injection?

To create an injection, you need to make sure that for every element in the domain, there is a unique element in the range that it maps to. This can be achieved by carefully choosing the input and output values of the function.

5. Why is finding a set and an injection important in science?

Finding a set and an injection is important in science as it allows us to categorize and organize data, making it easier to analyze and understand. Injections are also useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as cryptography and data compression.