1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick SUVAT check

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    I would just like someone to give a quick check to part b) of this question, just to make sure I have fully grasped the concept.

A t=0s, particle P is fired vertically upwards with speed 17.64ms-1.When P reaches its maximum height, particle Q is fired vertically upwards with a speed 25ms-1. Both particles are fired from ground level.

a) find the time between the two particles being fired.
    Ans:1.8s

b) Find the length of the time after P is fired before the two particles become level.

So I start with the SUVAT equation:

S=Sp, U=17.64, V=0, T=T
    S=Sq, U=25, V=N/A, T=T-1.8

I then use the equation [itex]S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

I would the set Sp=Sq, and solve simultaneously.

My point I would like to touch on is the t part. I set T=T because I do not know the total time take for the ball to reach maximum height; correct? T=T-1.8, because once again I do not know 1. the time taken for the ball to reach max height 2. - 1.8 because it was fired 1.8s later than the first.

I did end up with the right ans which is t=2.44s. But just want to makes sure I have the right intuition behind the question.

Big thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes you do. Good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook