Solve SUVAT Inconsistency: Find Time & Velocity of Ball

• Thread starter mcairtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving a ball being projected downwards from the top of a tower and finding its velocity and time of descent using different kinematic equations. The individual asking the question had trouble understanding why they were getting different answers when using two different equations. With the help of another person, they were able to identify their mistake and clarify their understanding.
mcairtime
Hi there,

Sorry in advance. This problem is very simple but I can't see where I'm going wrong or what I'm missing. It may even be a numerical mistake, although I have run the numbers a few times. I have a feeling that I'm going to kick myself but anyway...

A ball is projected vertically downwards at 4 m/s from the top of a tower 80 m high. Find a) the velocity of the ball as it hits the ground and b) the time it takes to reach the ground.

(Taking down to be the positive direction and using g = 9.8)

a) use v^2 = u^2 +2as to find v = 12*sqrt(11) m/s or roughly 39.8 m/s (having discarded the negative solution).

b) use t = (v-u)/a to find t = (60*sqrt(11) - 20)/49 or approx 3.65 s

All fine, all easy.

Now, doing the problem again but using s = ut +0.5at^2 I get two solutions for t, one positive (matching the solution above) and a negative solution which may be discarded. All fine still.

When I try using s = vt - 0.5at^2 I get two solutions namely t = (60*sqrt(11) - 20)/49 i.e. matching the solution above but my second solution is t = (60*sqrt(11) + 20)/49 or roughly 4.47 s.

Why am I coming out with a second positive solution? I'll put my working below in case it's an arithmetic error:

s = vt - 0.5at^2

80 = 12*sqrt(11)t - (0.5)(9.8)t^2

4.9t^2 - 12*sqrt(11)t +80 = 0

t = (12*sqrt(11) +/- sqrt((12*sqrt(11))^2 - (4)(4.9)(80)))/9.8

t = (12*sqrt(11) +/- sqrt(16))/9.8

t = (60*sqrt(11) +/- 20)/49

Sorry about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
mcairtime said:
s = vt - 0.5at^2

80 = 12*sqrt(11)t - (0.5)(9.8)t^2
Not quite sure what you are doing here. Where's your starting point? You've changed the sign of the acceleration, so up is positive.

Hi Doc Al,

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I am not quite following. As far as I'm aware I'm maintaining down as the positive direction throughout the entire question.

In part a) we have

s = +80 m
u = +4 m/s
v = ?
a = +9.8 m/s^2
t = ?

We use this to find that v = + 12sqrt(11) m/s

For part b) we then have

s = +80 m
u = +4 m/s
v = +12sqrt(11) m/s
a = +9.8 m/s^2
t = ?

and I am getting a funny solution when I plug this into

s = vt - 0.5at^2

The minus sign is part of the equation, but I am subbing in a = + 9.8 m/s^2.

Apologies again if I'm being extra stupid.

consider four points in a broader trajectory.
At A, it is at ground, rising at 39.8 m/s. At B, it has risen to 80m, rising still at 4m/s. C and D are the start and end points of the original problem.
Your solution using u gave the times for the C to D and C to A transitions (the second being negative). The s, u and a inputs are the same for both.
Your v equation solution gives the times for the transitions C to D and B to D. The s, v and a inputs are the same for both.

mcairtime said:
In part a) we have

s = +80 m
u = +4 m/s
v = ?
a = +9.8 m/s^2
t = ?

We use this to find that v = + 12sqrt(11) m/s

For part b) we then have

s = +80 m
u = +4 m/s
v = +12sqrt(11) m/s
a = +9.8 m/s^2
t = ?
All this is fine. You've solved for the final speed and the time.

mcairtime said:
and I am getting a funny solution when I plug this into

s = vt - 0.5at^2

The minus sign is part of the equation, but I am subbing in a = + 9.8 m/s^2.
I don't understand what you mean when you say "The minus sign is part of the equation". The basic kinematic equation is y = y0 + v0t + 0.5at^2. If you use down as positive, then there will be no minus sign.

Please explain what you are solving for at this point.

haruspex said:
consider four points in a broader trajectory.
At A, it is at ground, rising at 39.8 m/s. At B, it has risen to 80m, rising still at 4m/s. C and D are the start and end points of the original problem.
Your solution using u gave the times for the C to D and C to A transitions (the second being negative). The s, u and a inputs are the same for both.
Your v equation solution gives the times for the transitions C to D and B to D. The s, v and a inputs are the same for both.

Yes, that is all crystal clear now. I was having a complete mental block. Seems obvious now. Thanks very much indeed.

Doc Al said:
All this is fine. You've solved for the final speed and the time.I don't understand what you mean when you say "The minus sign is part of the equation". The basic kinematic equation is y = y0 + v0t + 0.5at^2. If you use down as positive, then there will be no minus sign.

Please explain what you are solving for at this point.

Hello,

I have worked out where my issue was with the help of haruspex. As well as the equation s = ut + 0.5at^2 there is another equation s = vt - 0.5at^2 (where u is initial velocity and v is the final velocity). I was getting different answers when I used these two different equations and couldn't work out why. Apologies if I was unclear and thanks again.

1. How do you solve for time and velocity in an SUVAT problem?

To solve for time and velocity in an SUVAT (equations of motion) problem, you will need to use the equations of motion that relate the variables: displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t). These equations are:

• s = ut + 0.5at^2
  • v = u + at
  • v^2 = u^2 + 2as
  • s = (u + v)t/2
You will also need to have three known variables in order to solve for the remaining two.

2. What is the meaning of each variable in the SUVAT equations?

The variables in the SUVAT equations have the following meanings:

• s: displacement, or change in position
  • u: initial velocity, or the velocity at the starting point
  • v: final velocity, or the velocity at the ending point
  • a: acceleration, or the rate of change of velocity
  • t: time, or the duration of the motion
It is important to note that these equations only apply in situations where acceleration is constant.

3. How do you identify an inconsistency in an SUVAT problem?

An inconsistency in an SUVAT problem can be identified when the values given in the problem do not satisfy all of the equations of motion. For example, if the displacement and initial velocity do not match the final velocity and acceleration, then there is an inconsistency. Additionally, if the values given in the problem do not make sense in the context of the motion (e.g. a negative time or velocity), then there is an inconsistency.

4. What should you do if you encounter an inconsistency in an SUVAT problem?

If you encounter an inconsistency in an SUVAT problem, you should recheck your calculations and make sure that all values are entered correctly. If the inconsistency persists, you may need to use a different method or equation to solve for the desired variables. You may also need to consider if the given values are realistic and make any necessary adjustments.

5. How can you check if your solution for an SUVAT problem is correct?

To check if your solution for an SUVAT problem is correct, you can plug your values back into the equations of motion and ensure that they satisfy all of the equations. You can also use common sense and consider if the values make sense in the context of the problem (e.g. a positive time and velocity for a ball being thrown upwards). Additionally, you can use a calculator or computer program to verify your solution.