Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R S Configuration Assigning Priorities

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    The Order of priority of few elements is given Below

OCOCH3 > NH2 > COOCH3 > COOH > COCH3 > C6H6

Can any one explain me how these priority were assigned.

If we consider C6H6 ....out of the 6 Carbon Atoms which one should i choose ... and if i choose any one of the Six then i should add their Atomic Numbers of the neighbouring elements and then find out the Largest and that would have the highest Priority. I tried this method with all the atoms but couldnt understand .What approach should i take.

Please Explain me atleast 3 of the above mentioned compounds so that i can get an idea of how to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the C6H6 is an error and should actually be -C6H5... that is if you are determining the priority of an attached benzene group.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Yes it is C6H5

Sorry for the Error

5. May 29, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that answers the following.
    When assigning priorities, you count double bonds the same way you do for alkanes. So for benzene you would consider the attached group as a carbon attached to three other carbons in the same way that a tertiary carbon of an alkane is attached to three other carbons. If you were to rank benzene against t-butyl, you would choose benzene as higher ranking than t-butyl because the methyl groups of t-butyl are of lower rank (carbon attached to three hydrogens) than the adjacent carbons in the benzene ring (carbon attached to one hydrogen and two carbons).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook