Radial distribution of a 3d orbital

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Dethrone
Messages
716
Reaction score
0
How do I sketch the radial distribution of a $3d_{x^2-y^2}$ orbital? :D
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
How do I sketch the radial distribution of a $3d_{x^2-y^2}$ orbital? :D

Hey Rido!

Check out for instance Atomic orbitals on wiki?
It has some nice and different types of representations for the $3d_{x^2-y^2}$ orbital. (Mmm)
 
Thanks ILS and jacobi! (Cool)

I was able to find this image, which I'm pretty sure is the radial distribution of the 3D orbital.

View attachment 3854

In general, an orbital has $n-l-1$ radial nodes, and in this case, $n=3$, $l=2$, so there are $0$ radial nodes. This agrees with the image because there are no roots on the graph. There are however, two angular nodes / nodal planes that are perpendicular to the axis, but does not need to be reflected in the graph.
 

Attachments

  • Plot Radial Distribution.PNG
    Plot Radial Distribution.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 150