1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial vs Tangential acceleration

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    I ma having a little bit of trouble distinguishing radial and tangential acceleration.

For example:

The magnitude of the acceleration of a point on a spinning wheel is increased by a factor of 4 if:

A. the magnitudes of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 4
    B. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 4 and the angular accel- eration is not changed
    C. the magnitudes of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 2
    D. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the angular accel- eration is not changed
    E. the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitude of the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4
    ans: E

But if ar = v2/r = ω2r so if angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2, this works. But, doesn't αt = ω? So a = α2t2r is also valid, right? Therefore, 2 is also the factor the angular acceleration should be multiplied.

I realize a = αr, but isn't this tangential acceleration and isn't the question assessing radial acceleration?
    Any help in differentiating the two types of acceleration would great! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes

The question is asking about the magnitude of the total (or net) acceleration (with contribution from both the centripetal and tangential acceleration).

[EDIT]
    ω = αt assumes constant angular acceleration. This is not assumed in this problem.

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Oh, thank you! So, then using components, the end result would af/ai = (32/2)1/2 and this gives a factor of 4. Exactly what I was looking for!

5. Dec 9, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since I don't know what your reasoning was that led you to af/ai = (32/2)1/2, I can't say if you worked it correctly. But maybe it's fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted