Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radian and Degree with Graphing Calculator

1. Aug 31, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone,

I use a TI-83 Plus and I'd like to know if there is a quick way to convert an angle from radian to degree and vice versa. I am not referring to multiplying by (pi/180) or (180/pi).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2
    hit mode, it's at the top next to the 2nd button, and switch from radian to degree.
  4. Aug 31, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I actually wanted to ask whether the graphing calculator can convert a number to either radians or degrees. For example, if I typed in 145, would it be possible to press a few buttons to get the equivalent radian measure?
  5. Aug 31, 2007 #4
    You have already mentioned one way of doing it, and matticus posted another. Here's another way: Divide by 57.3 (approx.). [This is essentially the same as multiplying by pi/180]
  6. Sep 1, 2007 #5
    If your mode is set to radians

type in your angle in degrees and then go to angle -> the degree symbol and I think it outputs the answer in radians

If your mode is set to degrees

tyoe in your angle in radians to go to angle -> the radian symbol (little "r") and I think it outputs the answer in radians
  7. Sep 2, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's the "hard way"! To convert degrees to radians, set the mode to "degrees", and take the sine of the number. Now set the mode to "radians" and take the inverse sine!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?