Radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the energy lost by an electron during one revolution using the Larmor Formula. It is suggested to find the time of a classical revolution and multiply it by the energy loss per time. If the result is small, the approach works, but if it is large, a differential equation must be solved. The energy lost per revolution is estimated to be much smaller, leading to atoms being stable for thousands of years. However, the calculations will be double checked.
LauritsT
Hello!

How do I find how much energy does electron radiate during one revolution if the energy radiation rate is given by Larmor Formula: dE /dt = [(− 2/3)* e2* a2]/ c3. Should I use the chain rule? At the moment I only want a hint how to solve this.

With best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the time of a classical revolution and multiply the energy loss per time by that time. Then compare the result to the overall energy. If it is small the approach works, if it is large then dE/dt will change during the orbit and you cannot use this simple approach. Then you have to solve a differential equation as a depends on t now.

Likes LauritsT
mfb said:
You can find the time of a classical revolution and multiply the energy loss per time by that time. Then compare the result to the overall energy. If it is small the approach works, if it is large then dE/dt will change during the orbit and you cannot use this simple approach. Then you have to solve a differential equation as a depends on t now.

Thanks! So very roughly speaking, the overallenergy that the electron should have is K~ e2 and the energy lost per revolution is E~ e5 / (m3/2 * r * c3). So since the energy lost per revolution is much smaller (~1030 times smaller) then the approach works. In the case when dE/dt is large: the differential equation already has t as a variable as I understand, since dE=...dt, yes?

Yes, you'll get ##dE=c (a(t))^2 dt## with some constant c - but you don't know a(t), so you probably want to rewrite that as ##dE=c (a(E))^2 dt##, plug in a(E) and then solve for E(t). But with a small energy loss, that is not necessary.

Likes LauritsT
LauritsT said:
So since the energy lost per revolution is much smaller (~1030 times smaller)

That doesn't sound right to me. This leads to atoms stable for thousands of years, when I thought it was well under a microsecond.

Likes LauritsT
Vanadium 50 said:
That doesn't sound right to me. This leads to atoms stable for thousands of years, when I thought it was well under a microsecond.

Thanks for the tip! I've read also that electron should fall onto the nucleus in 10-11 seconds. But since it the energy of only one full rotation with respect to the whole energy (kinetic) then I didn't think of it as a fault right away. I will check it once more.

//edit: just to be clear my result was before dE/K = 10-30 where dE is energy lost in one revolution and K is kinetic energy. But once again, I will check my calculations

I get nW, or 10 GeV/s. At a few PHz classical revolution frequency, this is a few µeV per revolution. Not 1030 times smaller, but still small enough to make the initial approximation reasonable.
Calculated for a distance of 1 Ångström.

Likes LauritsT

1. What is the radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom?

The radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom refers to the process by which an electron in an excited state within an atom emits a photon and transitions to a lower energy state. This process is also known as spontaneous emission.

2. Why does an electron in an excited state emit a photon?

An electron in an excited state is in an unstable energy state and is constantly seeking to return to a lower energy state. When it does so, it releases energy in the form of a photon. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom impact the atom's energy levels?

The radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom causes the energy levels of the atom to change. When an electron transitions from a higher energy state to a lower one, the atom's energy decreases. Conversely, when an electron transitions from a lower energy state to a higher one, the atom's energy increases.

4. Is the radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom a continuous process?

No, the radiative collapse of an electron in a classical atom is not a continuous process. It occurs in discrete steps, with the electron transitioning from one energy level to another in specific intervals. This is due to the quantized nature of energy in the atom.

5. What factors influence the rate of radiative collapse in an atom?

The rate of radiative collapse in an atom is influenced by several factors, including the atom's energy levels, the strength of the electric field surrounding the atom, and the presence of other nearby atoms or particles. Additionally, the probability of radiative collapse is higher for higher energy levels and for atoms with higher atomic numbers.