1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio Astronomy - power received

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compare this to the power received on the ground from a geostationary satellite with a 1 W transmitter and with a transmission footprint of 1000 square km across (assume uniform power in footprint).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to start on this one pretty much. I mean I know that it is transmitting 1 W of power and that the intersection of this beam with the Earth's surface is 1000 square km, but I just don't know how I would go about determining the total power collected. There must be something that I'm missing because from the amount of marks allocated for this question you wouldn't receive 1 W of power. Any hints on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Compare WHAT with the power recieved from a 1W transmitter? I think you truncated the question.
  4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    Yeah I did truncate the question, but it's not the comparing part that I'm concerned with. I'm just wanting to get a push in the right direction as to how I would calculate the power received by the satellite.

But maybe the first part really does have something to do with it. The first part was this:

Estimate the total energy collected by a radio telescope since 1950 assuming that the sky emits a uniform flux density of 1 Jy.

So for that part I had to assume the area of the telescope and assume the bandwidth that was used too.
  5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then I think you want to compare that with the energy it would receive from said satellite. The question as stated doesn't give, or give you a way to guess the area of the antenna.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?