Time for radio signal to get to a receiver

In summary, the time it takes for a radio signal to travel from a transmitter located 17.5 km away to a radio receiver is 5.83 x 10^-5 seconds. The equation used to calculate this time is t = d/c, where t is time, d is distance, and c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m.s^-1). It is important to understand the concepts behind equations rather than just looking for an equation that uses specific symbols.
Jess_18033152

Homework Statement

A radio transmitter is located 17.5 km away. The broadcast signals travel at the speed of light (c = 3.00 x 108 m.s-1) through the air towards a radio receiver.

Calculate the time it takes the radio signal to travel from the transmitter to the receiver.

Homework Equations

Not sure on what equation to use in this case?

Thinking;
t = d/c ?

The Attempt at a Solution

t = d/c
= 17500m / (3.00 x 10^8)
= 5.83 x 10^5 s

Not sure whether this is the correct equation to use for this question, if not which equation should I use. From my notes in class I don't have an equation that uses these symbols other than t = d/c

Physics news on Phys.org
Jess_18033152 said:
5.83 x 10^5 s
This is roughly 7 days. Does it make sense to you that light takes a week to travel a distance of 17.5 km?

Let me also generally say that looking for an equation in notes is not a good way of learning physics. This is particularly true if you are just looking for an equation that ”uses my symbols”. You will learn much better if you try to understand why the equations are what they are. Also, symbols are just notation and there is no guarantee that another text will use the same ones. Meaning is everything.

Orodruin said:
This is roughly 7 days. Does it make sense to you that light takes a week to travel a distance of 17.5 km?

Let me also generally say that looking for an equation in notes is not a good way of learning physics. This is particularly true if you are just looking for an equation that ”uses my symbols”. You will learn much better if you try to understand why the equations are what they are. Also, symbols are just notation and there is no guarantee that another text will use the same ones. Meaning is everything.

Sorry the answer was 5.83 x 10^-5 s hahah :), thank you.

1. How does the distance between a transmitter and receiver affect the time for a radio signal to arrive?

The time for a radio signal to reach a receiver is directly proportional to the distance between the transmitter and receiver. This means that the farther the distance, the longer it will take for the signal to arrive at the receiver.

2. What is the speed of a radio signal and how does it impact the time it takes to reach a receiver?

The speed of a radio signal is the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second. This means that the time it takes for a signal to reach a receiver will depend on the distance between the transmitter and receiver, as well as the speed of light.

3. How does atmospheric conditions affect the time for a radio signal to get to a receiver?

The atmosphere can affect the time for a radio signal to reach a receiver in a few ways. For example, the signal can be slowed down or reflected by certain atmospheric conditions, which can increase the time it takes for the signal to arrive at the receiver.

4. Can the frequency of a radio signal impact the time it takes to reach a receiver?

Yes, the frequency of a radio signal can affect the time it takes to reach a receiver. Higher frequency signals tend to travel faster than lower frequency signals, so they may take slightly less time to reach a receiver.

5. How can the time for a radio signal to reach a receiver be calculated?

The time for a radio signal to reach a receiver can be calculated using the formula: time = distance / speed of light. This will give you the time in seconds, and you can convert it to other units if needed.