Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive particles and x rays

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    When electrons of high energy fall on metal X rays are produced.What about the metals having large atomic number and showing natural radio activity?Will there be a collision between the electrons and alpha and beta particle? I can not understand this. So please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bit difficult to answer effectively. The short answer: yes there will be collisions between the emitted particles and the metal atoms in the material . Those aren't alpha and beta particles, though.

My advice is to find some introductory material that suits you on the net (or in the bookshop :rolleyes:) and start reading on this wonderful world !

Maybe this also answers parts of your quesstion.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am not sure what exactly here that you don't understand? Whether there is collisions or not with the emitted particles?

Sure, it is possible, but is it PROBABLE?

1. There are a lot more of the metal ions, and a higher density of them, than the emitted beta and alpha particles. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into?

2. The alpha and beta particles are moving at a higher velocity than the "stationary" metal ions. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is an easier target to hit?

3. The metal ions are significantly larger in cross-sectional size than the alpha and beta particles. So again, which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is the bigger target to hit?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook