Radioactive particles and x rays

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of X-rays when high energy electrons fall on metal and the possibility of collisions between the emitted particles and metal atoms. The expert suggests finding introductory material to learn more about this topic. They also mention that collisions with metal ions are more probable due to their larger size, higher density, and stationary state compared to the emitted alpha and beta particles.
sunmoon
When electrons of high energy fall on metal X rays are produced.What about the metals having large atomic number and showing natural radio activity?Will there be a collision between the electrons and alpha and beta particle? I can not understand this. So please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bit difficult to answer effectively. The short answer: yes there will be collisions between the emitted particles and the metal atoms in the material . Those aren't alpha and beta particles, though.

My advice is to find some introductory material that suits you on the net (or in the bookshop :rolleyes:) and start reading on this wonderful world !

Maybe this also answers parts of your quesstion.

sunmoon said:
What about the metals having large atomic number and showing natural radio activity?Will there be a collision between the electrons and alpha and beta particle? I can not understand this. So please help me.

I am not sure what exactly here that you don't understand? Whether there is collisions or not with the emitted particles?

Sure, it is possible, but is it PROBABLE?

1. There are a lot more of the metal ions, and a higher density of them, than the emitted beta and alpha particles. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into?

2. The alpha and beta particles are moving at a higher velocity than the "stationary" metal ions. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is an easier target to hit?

3. The metal ions are significantly larger in cross-sectional size than the alpha and beta particles. So again, which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is the bigger target to hit?

Zz.

1. What are radioactive particles and x rays?

Radioactive particles and x rays are forms of ionizing radiation. These particles and waves have enough energy to knock electrons out of atoms, causing damage to living tissue.

2. How are radioactive particles and x rays produced?

Radioactive particles are produced through the decay of unstable atoms, while x rays are produced through the acceleration of electrons. X rays are also emitted during the decay process of some radioactive particles.

3. How do radioactive particles and x rays affect the human body?

Exposure to high levels of radioactive particles and x rays can damage cells and DNA, leading to various health effects such as cancer, radiation sickness, and birth defects. However, low levels of exposure are generally considered safe and are even used in medical imaging.

4. How can we protect ourselves from radioactive particles and x rays?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from these forms of radiation. This includes limiting exposure time, increasing distance from the source, shielding with materials such as lead, and following safety protocols in industries that use radioactive materials.

5. What are the uses of radioactive particles and x rays?

Radioactive particles and x rays have various uses in medicine, industry, and research. They are used for medical imaging, cancer treatment, sterilization of medical equipment, and studying the atomic structure of materials. They are also used in smoke detectors and to generate electricity in nuclear power plants.