1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive particles and x rays

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    When electrons of high energy fall on metal X rays are produced.What about the metals having large atomic number and showing natural radio activity?Will there be a collision between the electrons and alpha and beta particle? I can not understand this. So please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bit difficult to answer effectively. The short answer: yes there will be collisions between the emitted particles and the metal atoms in the material . Those aren't alpha and beta particles, though.

My advice is to find some introductory material that suits you on the net (or in the bookshop :rolleyes:) and start reading on this wonderful world !

Maybe this also answers parts of your quesstion.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am not sure what exactly here that you don't understand? Whether there is collisions or not with the emitted particles?

Sure, it is possible, but is it PROBABLE?

1. There are a lot more of the metal ions, and a higher density of them, than the emitted beta and alpha particles. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into?

2. The alpha and beta particles are moving at a higher velocity than the "stationary" metal ions. So which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is an easier target to hit?

3. The metal ions are significantly larger in cross-sectional size than the alpha and beta particles. So again, which ones, do you think, the incident electrons have a higher probability of colliding into? Which one is the bigger target to hit?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook