Radioactivity of an unknown isotope

In summary, the equation given is delta(N) = N(t).delta(t)/T where N(t) is the number of atoms left at time t and T is the half life. The task is to come up with a formula for calculating the remaining atoms using constant time and variable half lifes. Through the process of integration, it was found that the formula is N(t) = N0e^(t/T) where N0 is the initial number of atoms. However, when tested with specific values, it was found that the final number of atoms ended up being higher than the initial number, causing doubt in the correctness of the formula.
khy86
i have been given an equation of,
delta(N) = N(t).delta(t)/T

where N(t) is the number of atoms left at time t, and T is the half life. Using a constant time and variable half lifes i have to come up with a formula to calculate the remaining atoms left over.

the formula i was able to obtain from my working is

delta(N) = N0/e^(t.sq) / 2T

i am not sure if this equation is write and also my problem is that i have no idea of how i obtained this formula from the original one.

Physics news on Phys.org
You tell us what N(t), t, and T are but you don't tell us what delta(N) means. Is it the change in N during the time interval delta(t)? In the resulting formula I do not understand what you mean by "t.sq" nor what you mean by A/B/C. Is that the same as A/(BC) (A divided by B, then that divided by C)?

"i have no idea of how i obtained this formula from the original one."
Well, you were the one who obtained it! What did you do?

Assuming that delta(N) is indeed the change in N during time interval delta(t), then, dividing by delta(t) and taking the limit as delta(t) goes to 0, [itex]\frac{dN}{dt}= N/T[/itex], a differential equation. We then have
[tex]\frac{dN}{N}= \frac{dt}{T}[/tex]
where T is a constant (the half life). Integrating both sides,
ln(N)= t/T+ C or
[tex]N(t)= Ce^{\frac{t}{T}}[/tex].
Taking t= 0, N(0)= N0, that gives
[tex]N(0)= N_0= Ce^0= C[/tex]
so
[tex]N(t)= N_0 e^{\frac{t}{T}}[/tex]

My assumption about what "delta(N)" means must not be correct then, because that is not correct!

If T is the "half life", then for every period of length T, the number of atoms left is cut in half. In particular, the "number of periods of length T in time t" is just [itex]\frac{t}{T}[/itex] so we multiply the initial amount, N0 by 1/2 [itex]\frac{t}{T}[/itex] times. That is
[tex]N(t)= N_0 \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{t}{T}}[/tex].

Normally the rate of decay is expressed as

dN(t)/dt = -[tex]\lambda[/tex] N(t), i.e. the decay rate is directly proportional to the number of atoms, N, at time t, and is decreasing.

[tex]\lambda[/tex] is the decay constant and = (ln 2)/T1/2, where T1/2 is the half-life.

Last edited:
you are right, delta(N) is the change, sorry my bad for not explaining, i wasnt sure how to put the triangle in. Anyway the formula you obtained being N(t) = N0.e^(t/T). Using my own solving methods i obtained that but assumed it was wrong.

When i put the equation into excel, and put in some random values of t, N and T. the final value of N(t) ended up being higher than the beginning value of the number of atoms.

For example, the N being 10, t being 1 and T being 10, the final value ended up being 11.05, that's the reason why i assumed it was wrong.

1. What is radioactivity and how is it measured?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of radiation from the nucleus of an atom. It is measured in units of becquerels (Bq) which represents the number of radioactive decays per second.

2. How is the radioactivity of an unknown isotope determined?

The radioactivity of an unknown isotope can be determined through a process called radiometric dating. This involves measuring the amount of radioactive material present and comparing it to the known decay rate of that isotope.

3. What factors can affect the radioactivity of an isotope?

The radioactivity of an isotope can be affected by its half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original material to decay. Other factors such as external radiation, temperature, and chemical reactions can also potentially affect the radioactivity of an isotope.

4. Is all radioactivity harmful?

No, not all radioactivity is harmful. In fact, low levels of radioactivity are present in many natural substances and can be found in our environment. However, high levels of exposure to radioactivity can be harmful and potentially cause health issues.

5. How can we protect ourselves from exposure to radioactivity?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from exposure to radioactivity, such as limiting our time near radioactive sources, using shielding materials, and following safety protocols in areas with high levels of radioactivity. It is important to also follow proper disposal methods for radioactive materials to prevent harm to ourselves and the environment.