Radiowaves bouncing off of ionosphere

• Thread starter Swankie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionosphere
In summary, the minimum wavelength that can bounce off of the ionosphere is around 10kHz to 50MHz. Higher frequencies, right up into the microwave bands, at least up to 24GHz (1.2cm) can use tropospheric ducting and other methods of long haul propagation.
Swankie
What is about the minimum wavelength that can bounce off of the ionosphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi swankie

anything from ~10kHz to ~ 50MHz ( 50MHz = 6metre wavelength) will easily reflect off the Ionosphere using either the D, E or F layers

frequencies from ~ 100MHz (3 metres) and up will tend to easily penetrate the Ionosphere. Those higher frequencies, right up into the microwave bands, at least up to 24 GHz (1.2cm) can use tropospheric ducting and other methods of long haul propagation

so as a generalisation, approx 80MHz (3.75 metre wavelength) would be the cutoff freq for Ionospheric reflection.
I have seen/used sporadic E layer propagation up to 150MHz, but relatively rare

cheers
Dave

Thanks, Dave! Great answer! Do you know of any handheld receivers that could pick up 150MHz? Or would you need something w/ a larger antenna?

Swankie said:
Thanks, Dave! Great answer! Do you know of any handheld receivers that could pick up 150MHz? Or would you need something w/ a larger antenna?

There are a number of scanning receivers that cover 150MHz and a wide range of freq's either side.
for example the AOR range of receivers ... the AR 8200 MK3, that I have covers, 500kHz to 2050MHz pretty much contineously. Its a very versatile receiver and altho comes with a "rubber duckie" antenna, the receiver can be connected to a decent external antenna.

Just a comment about reflection off the ionosphere. the lower VLF and HF frequencies say 100 kHz to 30MHz the angle of reflection can be quite sharp but as the frequency increases from ~ 30MHz up to ~ 70 MHz the angle changes substantially, see my drawings below...

attachment.php?attachmentid=47582&stc=1&d=1337860294.gif

NOTE as said in image ... NOT to scale, just a basic pic to give you an idea and something to base further info searching on :smile:

the lowest layer is the D layer good for 10kHz to 1MHz (not shown in image)
Then the E layer, then the F1 and F2 layers being the highest up
I won't go into individual descriptions here, there's plenty of info on the www
depending on the time of day and also year the F1 and F2 layers will split into the 2 layers and then recombine into a single F layer
You can see the really low angle of propagation of the radio signal off the E layer

On all layers you can get single hop of signals as I have shown, and you can also get multi-hop of signals too. I have had multi-hop propagation on the 50 MHz (6 metre) ham radio band on a number of times.

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• ionosphere.GIF
    ionosphere.GIF
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,738
As you dig into some studies on the subject, you will find a lot of discussion on what is theorized to be happening in the ionosphere when a radio signal encounters it.
eg... does the signal reflect directly off the layer at the point of contact. Or is there a degree of refraction that causes the signal to follow the layer for a distance before coming back out and down to the ground.
There's a whole mass of physics way over my head, describing the maths of these interactions.

There is one form of ionospheric propagation that I haven't commented on yet.
That is the reflection of a radio signal off an auroral curtain. I have done that on the 50 MHz and the 144 MHz frequencies. Because the aurora has a lot of movement in it, the audio signals are readable but quite distorted and the distortion is worse as the freq increases.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47583&stc=1&d=1337862913.gif

This is also referred to auroral backscatter ... now the drawing below (again, not to scale) that the signal from station B is going out to the auroral curtain and then being reflected back over the top and on to station A. This was what it was like for me when I lived in southern New Zealand. I was in the station B position in Dunedin city and my signals were being backscattered back over the top of me to station A in Christchurch city.
and of course for us in the southern hemisphere the aurora was south of us. It is reversed for those in the northern hemisphere

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Aurora Reflection.GIF
    Aurora Reflection.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,454

1. How do radiowaves bounce off of the ionosphere?

Radiowaves are electromagnetic waves that can travel through the air. When these waves come into contact with the ionosphere, a layer of charged particles in the Earth's upper atmosphere, they can be reflected or refracted. This is due to the difference in density between the ionosphere and the air below it.

2. Why does the ionosphere reflect radiowaves?

The ionosphere is able to reflect radiowaves because it contains charged particles that are able to interact with the electromagnetic field of the waves. This interaction causes the waves to change direction and travel back towards the Earth's surface.

3. What is the significance of radiowaves bouncing off of the ionosphere?

Radiowaves bouncing off of the ionosphere allows for long-distance communication, as the waves can be bounced between the ionosphere and the Earth's surface multiple times. This is especially important for radio communication in remote areas or over long distances, such as in aviation or maritime industries.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the reflection of radiowaves off of the ionosphere?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the reflection of radiowaves off of the ionosphere. The density and composition of the ionosphere, as well as the frequency and strength of the radiowaves, can all impact the reflection process. Solar activity and weather conditions can also play a role in the ionosphere's ability to reflect radiowaves.

5. Can radiowaves be refracted by the ionosphere?

Yes, radiowaves can also be refracted by the ionosphere. This means that the waves can be bent as they pass through the ionosphere, changing their direction and allowing them to reach areas that would otherwise be blocked by the curvature of the Earth. This is known as "bending" or "ducting" and is commonly used in radio communication for long-distance transmissions.