Radius of Curvature, Lenses, Finding Di

In summary, the image of a person looking at themselves in a shiny Christmas tree ball with a diameter of 8.1 cm and a distance of 35.0 cm away is located 4.6 cm from the ball. The focal distance can be calculated using the formula 1/do + 1/di = 1/f, however, care must be taken when applying the formula to a mirror. Drawing a ray diagram can help ensure the correct sign on f is used.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

If you look at yourself in a shiny Christmas tree ball with a diameter of 8.1 cm when your face is 35. 0cm away from it, where is your image?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

1/di = 1/4.05 cm - 1/35.0 cm

di = 4.6 cm

I thought f = 8.1 cm / 2

Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:
I thought f = 8.1 cm / 2
Not quite - where did you get that formula from?

Also, you need to watch your signs here. You are applying a lens formula to a mirror, and that means some careful thought is needed. Far and away the easiest thing to do is draw a couple of ray diagrams.

First, put the object on the left and the mirror in the middle. Rays go left-to-right, strike the mirror, and go back right-to-left. Add back-tracks to the reflected rays if that's necessary to find the image position.

Second, flip the reflected rays and their back-tracks (if any) around. So, if a ray strikes the mirror and bounces back at 10° above the horizontal, make it 10° above the horizontal in the opposite direction. You have replaced the mirror with a lens that (except for transmitting the light rather than reflecting it) does the exact same thing as the mirror. Now you can apply your lens formula (think about the sign on f!) to this diagram. That should let you label your original diagram easily enough.

Hello. The book said the focal point = radius of curvature / 2 but I'm sure I misapplied it. I will go back and do what you said.

Hopefully the book says focal distance, but otherwise I think you've just made a minor slip - 8.1cm is the diameter of the ball, not the radius.

I'd still suggest drawing it out to make sure you get the right sign on f.

= 4.05 cm because the Christmas tree ball is a convex mirror, and the center of curvature is twice the radius of the mirror.

Your solution is correct. The formula you used, 1/do + 1/di = 1/f, is known as the lens formula and is used to calculate the position of an image formed by a lens or a curved mirror. In this case, the Christmas tree ball acts as a convex mirror, and the radius of curvature is equal to the diameter, which is 8.1 cm. As you correctly stated, the focal length (f) of a convex mirror is half of the radius of curvature, so in this case, f = 4.05 cm. Using the lens formula, we can find the position of the image, which is 4.6 cm behind the mirror. This means that the image is virtual (formed behind the mirror), upright, and magnified. Thank you for sharing your solution and using the correct formula. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the definition of Radius of Curvature?

The Radius of Curvature is a measure of how curved a lens is and is defined as the distance from the center of the lens to the center of curvature of its surface.

2. How is the Radius of Curvature related to the focal length of a lens?

The Radius of Curvature and the focal length of a lens are inversely related. This means that as the Radius of Curvature increases, the focal length decreases and vice versa.

3. How do you find the Radius of Curvature of a lens?

The Radius of Curvature can be found by measuring the distance from the center of the lens to the point where the curvature of the lens ends. This can be done using specialized equipment or by using formulas and measurements of the lens.

4. What is the significance of the Radius of Curvature in lens design?

The Radius of Curvature is an important factor in lens design as it determines the focal length and therefore, the magnification and image quality of the lens. A larger Radius of Curvature can result in a wider field of view, while a smaller Radius of Curvature can result in a narrower field of view.

5. Can the Radius of Curvature be changed?

Yes, the Radius of Curvature can be changed by altering the shape and thickness of the lens. This is often done in lens design to achieve specific focal lengths and magnifications for different applications.