Radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom

In summary, the question asks for the radius of electron orbit and provides the energy of the electron in terms of n. The question provides possible values for n and the user has to find the allowed energies by plugging them in.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See question below
Relevant Equations
F = mv^2/r
I am really stuck on what to do here in this question

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.26.02.png

I have arrived at forming an equation to work out the radius of electron orbit from doing the following

IMG_4368.jpg

However I do not know what to do next as I don't know what the value of n (quantum number) must be? :oldconfused:

Any help would be really great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Derive an expression for the energy since you're provided the energy of the electron.

vela said:
Derive an expression for the energy since you're provided the energy of the electron.

I have tried doing that and get this

IMG_4370.JPG

What would my total energy E be though? That is my confusion

Try writing the energy in terms of ##n## instead of ##r##. Then you can find the allowed energies by plugging in different values for ##n##.

vela said:
Try writing the energy in terms of ##n## instead of ##r##. Then you can find the allowed energies by plugging in different values for ##n##.

Is this the expression that I need which I circled in my working for the total energy in terms of ##n##?

IMG_4372.jpg

How would I do this as I have a ##v## in my expression which I do not know? And it is ##r## that we are trying to find?

You already found expressions for the kinetic and potential energy in terms of ##r##, and you have ##r## in terms of ##n##. Just put those together.

vela said:
You already found expressions for the kinetic and potential energy in terms of ##r##, and you have ##r## in terms of ##n##. Just put those together.

Thanks I have tried putting these together and have ended up with this expression

B43CC796-F3AB-4DEB-B5A9-9712A93DEFAF.jpeg

CB60A786-F1EA-409E-AFA9-658C11C9D5D9.jpeg

Now how do I make use of the 0.85eV and 12.75eV values given in the question to find radius?

Shouldn't the energy in the excited state be -0.85eV? At zero it would become unbound.

haruspex said:
Shouldn't the energy in the excited state be -0.85eV? At zero it would become unbound.

I was thinking that too as usually energy level values are negative

Is it wrong to think that the total energy E would be 0.85eV + 12.75eV = 13.6 eV?

I know that I shouldn't be looking at this but here is the energy level diagram for a hydrogen atom

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 22.43.03.png

Therefore I know that my energy En = –0.85eV is in the 4th energy level hence n = 4

Problem is that when I sub different integer values of ##n## in the equation that relates energy ##E## in terms of ##n## I keep getting zero on my calculator?

Bolter said:
I was thinking that too as usually energy level values are negative

Is it wrong to think that the total energy E would be 0.85eV + 12.75eV = 13.6 eV?
On reflection, I don't think the 0.85 matters. The key should be the 12.75eV difference between E1 and En.
You have expressions for both of those from post #7.

haruspex said:
On reflection, I don't think the 0.85 matters. The key should be the 12.75eV difference between E1 and En.
You have expressions for both of those from post #7.

Thank you, I used what I had in post #7 where I knew that energy in En = –0.85eV

Then from that I done:

IMG_4375.jpg

So radius is 8.46 angstroms to 2 dp

Notice this is 42=16 times the Bohr radius (=.529Angstrom) as it should be.

Likes Bolter
hutchphd said:
Notice this is 42=16 times the Bohr radius (=.529Angstrom) as it should be.

Right, so I should divide my 8.462... angstrom by 16 to get 0.529 angstrom

Also I should've showed the full question in the original post by showing the possible answers to choose from

Here it is

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 13.07.04.png

As you can see there isn't any 0.529 angstrom option here? Does this question have an error then? I thought option b would've been the correct answer.

You misunderstand. The answer you provide is correct. The Bohr radius is the size of the n=1 (ground) state. I was pointing out there was an easier route to your answer but all correct routes will provide the correct number!

Likes Bolter
hutchphd said:
You misunderstand. The answer you provide is correct. The Bohr radius is the size of the n=1 (ground) state. I was pointing out there was an easier route to your answer but all correct routes will provide the correct number!

Oh I see, I understand what you had meant now, my bad

Likes hutchphd

What is the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom?

The radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom is approximately 0.0529 nanometers (or 0.529 Angstroms). This is known as the Bohr radius and is the average distance between the electron and the nucleus in a Hydrogen atom.

How is the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom calculated?

The radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom is calculated using the Bohr model, which takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the electron, and the fundamental constants of nature. The formula for calculating the radius is r = n²h²/4π²me², where n is the principal quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and e is the charge of the electron.

Does the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom change?

The radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom does not change as long as the atom remains in its ground state (lowest energy state). However, if the atom is excited by absorbing energy, the electron can jump to a higher energy level and the radius of its orbit will increase.

How does the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom relate to its energy level?

The radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom is directly proportional to its energy level. This means that as the energy level increases, the radius of the orbit also increases. This is because the higher the energy level, the further the electron is from the nucleus.

Is the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom the same for all atoms?

No, the radius of the electron orbit in a Hydrogen atom is specific to Hydrogen atoms and may vary for other atoms. This is because the radius is dependent on the mass and charge of the nucleus, which can differ between elements.