1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raise complex number using De Moivre - integer only?

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    This is probably a silly question, but it is not really clear to me whether De Moivre's theorem of raising a complex number to the nth power only work if n is an integer value?
    E.g. if I try to raise (2-2i) to the power of 3.01 then my manual calculation get a different result than my calculator, but for all integer values it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, at least according to the Wikipedia article on the subject, 'n' must be an integer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    >>Well, at least according to the Wikipedia article on the subject, 'n' must be an integer:
    argh, I missed that. Thanks
    Do you know how I can raise a complex number by a real number?

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    I may be wrong but in mathematics, n is used to denote an integer by convention.

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    >>I may be wrong but in mathematics, n is used to denote an integer by convention.
    I think you are right.

7. Mar 27, 2012 #6
    You can raise it to any power by using this method:

[itex]z^w = e^{ln|z^w|} = e ^{w \cdot ln|z|}[/itex] and simplify from there. From the top of my head, I believe this formula gives an infinite number of solutions depending on how you choose your branch of the logarithm.

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the power does not have to be an integer. DeMoivre's formula is very commonly used, for example, to find roots, the "1/n" power.

9. Mar 28, 2012 #8
    After some more Bing'ing I found this
    http://www.suitcaseofdreams.net/De_Moivre_formula.htm

For r = 1 we obtain De Moivre’s formula for fractional powers:
    (cos+i sin)p/q = cos((p/q))+i sin((p/q)). (1.27)

So the decimal power should work as well, right?. I will try and convert the decimal to a fraction, but I dont see why it would make a difference.

When I tried it worked correct for quadrant I and II, but I could not get it right for III and IV.

I will keep playing with this.

10. Mar 29, 2012 #9
    I played some more with this and it was all just a matter of adjusting θ depending of the quadrant.
    For quadrant II
    θ=(atan(im(z)/re(z))+pi)*n, where n is any number
    And for III
    θ=(atan(im(z)/re(z))-pi)*n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook