Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raman spectroscopy is Single molecule identification

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    Raman spectroscopy is "Single molecule identification"

Hi , I heard that the speciality of Raman spectroscopy is "Single molecule identification", it'd be really great if somebody can tell me HOW! because its surely going to be a question in my exam!!
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2
    Raman scattering excites low energy vibrational and rotational modes which are very target specific. I guess that's how the molecules are indentified. Someone else can probably give you more info because I only have limited knowledge on X-ray Raman scattering and it seems you're asking about Raman scattering around the laser region.

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3
    Thnks inha,,you are right, I was looking in laser excitations.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

What do you mean by single-molecule identification. Do you mean that a sample can be identified with only a single-molecule present?

Claude.

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    That is what I want to know,i think it is not same as you said but it is connected with the Surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy(I think).
    It might be identifying a given unknown sample using info about its symmetry !!!!!!

7. Jan 30, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, SMD (single molecule detection) is done using SERS. The reason you need SERS is scattering cross-section. With regular Raman scattering, the cross-section is typically of order 10^{-30] cm^2. With SERS, you get as much as about 10^{-15} cm^2 (or thereabouts).

8. Jan 30, 2006 #7
    Ok , Thanks Gokul!
    I dodn't get what scattering cross section has to do with molecule identification, more info please! (or any web site?)

9. Jan 31, 2006 #8
    With a small scattering cross section the experiment would take ages or fail totally as the relevant information would get buried into the background.

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Exactly, larger scattering cross-section = more scattered photons = greater signal-to-noise ratio.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?