Raman: Why does only some light scatter inelastically?

In summary, the Raman Scattering process is probabilistic and can be described by the Boltzmann Distribution. This means that only a small fraction of protons, or photons, will scatter inelastically and the number can be predicted using the partition function. For more information on this subject, suggested reading material can be found on the Wikipedia page for Raman scattering.
perels
Hi,

I have been involved in a Raman Scattering project and have grasped the fundamentals of Raman Scattering. I'm no physics student, but rather a business student.

1. Can somebody explain to me why only a few protons scatter inelastically and not all of them?
2. Is there a method for defining how many protons will scatter inelastically, i.e. can it be predicted?
3. Any suggested reading material on this subject?

Hoping for some help on at least some of the questions :-)

Cheers
Per

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Thanks for the link - I will look into this - usually I try to avoid wikipedia as the information on this is not verified.

Yes, I mean photons, not protons - thanks for the correction :)

perels said:
Hi,

Thanks for the link - I will look into this - usually I try to avoid wikipedia as the information on this is not verified.

Yes, I mean photons, not protons - thanks for the correction :)

Actually the information on wikipedia is very accurate. Studies show (think one was published in nature even) that wikipedia has about as few errors as Encyclopædia Britannica.

Also, on topic, the reason why not all photons scatter is easily answered, it's because this process is probabilistic, as most processes at that quantum level are. One can compute the probability for a scattering event to occur however, but depending on the material they scatter from, this may be a very involved calculation.

We can describe the distribution of these energy states with the Boltzmann Distribution with:

[itex]
\frac{{{N}_{i}}}{N}=\frac{{{exp}({\frac{{{\epsilon }_{i}}}{{{k}_{B}}T}}})}{Z(T)}\
[/itex]

Where the partition function Z(T) is defined as:

[itex]
Z(T)=\sum{{{e}^{-\frac{{{\varepsilon }_{i}}}{{{k}_{B}}T}}}}
[/itex]

This means that there are more electrons in the ground state, thus more Stokes-shifted photons. It also means that a smaller fraction of the molecules are not in the ground state, but in vibrational excited states. Scattered photons from these molecules have higher energy compared to the incident photons. This is called anti-Stokes scattering. This blue shifted scattering is always weaker, due to the Boltzmann distribution, than the Stokes-shifted scattering.

1. Why is the Raman effect only observed in some materials?

The Raman effect is an inelastic scattering process that occurs when light interacts with the vibrational modes of a molecule. Not all materials have vibrational modes that strongly interact with light, which is why the Raman effect is only observed in certain materials.

2. How does the Raman effect differ from other types of light scattering?

The Raman effect is a form of inelastic scattering, meaning that the scattered light has a different energy (and therefore a different wavelength) compared to the incident light. In contrast, elastic scattering (such as Rayleigh scattering) does not change the energy of the scattered light.

3. Why does the Raman effect produce a spectrum of scattered light?

The Raman effect produces a spectrum of scattered light because molecules have multiple vibrational modes, each with a different energy. When light interacts with these modes, it can gain or lose energy, resulting in a range of scattered wavelengths.

4. Can the Raman effect be used for chemical analysis?

Yes, the Raman effect can be used for chemical analysis. Since different molecules have distinct vibrational modes, the Raman spectrum of a sample can provide information about its chemical composition.

5. How is the Raman effect related to the concept of photon-phonon interactions?

The Raman effect is a manifestation of photon-phonon interactions, where the photon (light) interacts with the phonon (vibrational energy) of a molecule. This interaction results in a transfer of energy between the photon and the molecule, causing the inelastic scattering of light.