1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwaves through an ice sphere: Which scattering solution is best?

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    I apologize for not following the template, but it doesn't really fit. I would have posted it elsewhere but as it's for academic purposes I think it has to be here. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm a high schooler working on a project, and I was planning to send ≈3 cm microwaves through an ice sphere with diameter varying from about 1-6 cm and see the change in scattering.

Unfortunately, through the research I've done it seems like this is way more complicated than I'd imagined.

So, I need some help.

Wikipedia (Most reliable source... Well...) states:
    And this confuses me. I know ice absorbs some EM waves, and thus it must be somewhat inelastic. However, I'm not sure whether that's what is meant.

Can someone help me with which I should use, and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Microwaves through an ice sphere: Which scattering solution is bes

The wavelength is so long, effects from the whole material should be more relevant than those inelastic scattering processes. I would expect significant absorption.

I think classical physics was the right subforum ;).

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    Re: Microwaves through an ice sphere: Which scattering solution is bes

Huh, okay. Does this mean I can use something like the Mie Theory to predict scattering, or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook