Microwaves through an ice sphere: Which scattering solution is best?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's project involving sending microwaves through an ice sphere. The student is seeking help on which type of scattering to use, as well as whether the Mie Theory can be applied in this scenario. They also mention that they believe classical physics would be the appropriate subforum for their question.
DarkLightA
I apologize for not following the template, but it doesn't really fit. I would have posted it elsewhere but as it's for academic purposes I think it has to be here. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm a high schooler working on a project, and I was planning to send ≈3 cm microwaves through an ice sphere with diameter varying from about 1-6 cm and see the change in scattering.

Unfortunately, through the research I've done it seems like this is way more complicated than I'd imagined.

So, I need some help.

Wikipedia (Most reliable source... Well...) states:
Major forms of elastic light scattering (involving negligible energy transfer) are Rayleigh scattering and Mie scattering. Inelastic scattering includes Brillouin scattering, Raman scattering, inelastic X-ray scattering and Compton scattering.

And this confuses me. I know ice absorbs some EM waves, and thus it must be somewhat inelastic. However, I'm not sure whether that's what is meant.

Can someone help me with which I should use, and why?

Physics news on Phys.org

The wavelength is so long, effects from the whole material should be more relevant than those inelastic scattering processes. I would expect significant absorption.

I think classical physics was the right subforum ;).

Huh, okay. Does this mean I can use something like the Mie Theory to predict scattering, or not?

1. What is the purpose of studying microwaves through an ice sphere?

The purpose of studying microwaves through an ice sphere is to understand how electromagnetic radiation interacts with different materials, such as ice. This can have practical applications in fields such as remote sensing and climate research.

2. What is the main challenge in studying microwaves through an ice sphere?

The main challenge in studying microwaves through an ice sphere is accurately modeling and predicting the scattering of the electromagnetic waves. This is because the shape, size, and composition of the ice sphere can greatly affect the scattering behavior.

3. What are the different scattering solutions that can be used in this study?

There are several scattering solutions that can be used in studying microwaves through an ice sphere, including the Mie, Rayleigh, and Geometrical Optics solutions. Each solution has its own strengths and limitations, and the best solution will depend on the specific characteristics of the ice sphere and the desired level of accuracy.

4. How do scientists determine which scattering solution is best for a particular study?

Scientists determine which scattering solution is best for a particular study by considering the properties of the ice sphere, such as its size and composition, as well as the desired accuracy of the results. They may also compare the predictions of different solutions to experimental data to determine the most appropriate solution.

5. What are the potential implications of this study?

This study can have implications in various fields, such as climate research, remote sensing, and telecommunications. Understanding how microwaves interact with ice spheres can help improve our understanding of weather patterns and climate change. It can also aid in the development of better remote sensing techniques and communication technologies.