Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,751
Silicon Waffle said:
I don't know what you have been through with your tooth. If it'd been pulled out, things'd be fine soon. relax, don't drink hot water and eat to many spicy or salty things.

this can kill me and all the cats, uh...uhm...
Just turn off your clapper :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clapper
It was a mess when they left it on at the opera concert the other day.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,752
Klatuu, barata nikto.

• #1,753
zoobyshoe said:
Klatuu, barata nikto.
I hope that doesn't mean anything too different from "Klaatu, barada nikto". I'd hate for there to be any misunderstanding.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,754
Sophia said:
When I had a toothache and it was weekend so I had to survive without the dentist I was told in the pharmacy that the most powerful non-prescription medicine for toothache contains chemical called naproxenum natricium. In Europe it is sold under name Nalgesin.
Maybe ask about that at the pharmacy. Just be sure to ask the pharmacist if it is safe for you if you use other medicines or have some chronic conditions.
It's okay now, the pain has somewhat receded. I fell asleep and woke up because I temporarily choked with the blood and saliva ?:). I'm fine now. :smile:
OCR said:
And try to avoid this (dry socket), or ... the birds will be "living" in your head... :oldcry:
Well, the pain has somewhat receded, now that I'm not in a bad mood and read this: Haha. That'd be epic (the birds in my head, not the complication, I hope I don't get it :nb)).
WWGD said:
I think s/he meant the wisdom tooth. Ouch, sarcastic slow claps are nasty.
Oh, is that what you meant Silicon Waffle? Yes, the one in the pic is one of those :smile:. All teeth go in vertical direction, except the wisdom tooth. Not very wise if you ask me. They be like: "No room for us? No problem, we'll push horizontally until you go mad. What? You are thinking about taking us out? Ohoho, that will hurt even more. No matter what you do, your only option is pain."

I'm going to have to arrest them for torture. :wink:
Silicon Waffle said:
I don't know what you have been through with your tooth. If it'd been pulled out, things'd be fine soon. relax, don't drink hot water and eat to many spicy or salty things.
I want solid food, but I know it's going to pain if I try.

Recovery powers: activate! Oh, I forgot I don't have those. :-p

• #1,755
Psinter said:
Oh, is that what you meant Silicon Waffle? Yes, the one in the pic is one of those :smile:. All teeth go in vertical direction, except the wisdom tooth. Not very wise if you ask me. They be like: "No room for us? No problem, we'll push horizontally until you go mad. What? You are thinking about taking us out? Ohoho, that will hurt even more. No matter what you do, your only option is pain."

I'm going to have to arrest them for torture. :wink:

. :-p

Just kick him every time he (dentist) does something painful to you. You tell him: " you hurt me, I hurt you, deal ?" and I am pretty sure he will be more careful. And wear leather shoes.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #1,756
Jonathan Scott said:
I hope that doesn't mean anything too different from "Klaatu, barada nikto". I'd hate for there to be any misunderstanding.
I'm not sure of the literal meaning. I transliterated it from a Bruce Campbell movie. It was given to him as an incantation to get from the past back to the present. It was a very campy movie.

• #1,757
zoobyshoe said:
I'm not sure of the literal meaning. I transliterated it from a Bruce Campbell movie. It was given to him as an incantation to get from the past back to the present. It was a very campy movie.
"There's no place like home" (Oz)?

• #1,758
WWGD said:
"There's no place like home" (Oz)?
Probably more like, "Let's do the time warp again!"

Likes Tsu
  • #1,759
WWGD said:
Just kick him every time he (dentist) does something painful to you. You tell him: " you hurt me, I hurt you, deal ?" and I am pretty sure he will be more careful. And wear leather shoes.
Sounds like a plan. :woot:

cool-programming-syntax-error-prank.jpg

Source

• #1,761
So I've been wondering, are these things for decoration or if I go to a bank and say I want to deposit 1 dollar they will accept it? Or what if I go to a store, will they accept it? Because I have a few of these. Like 4, I think.

480px-Presidential_%241_Reverse.png

• #1,762
Psinter said:
So I've been wondering, are these things for decoration or if I go to a bank and say I want to deposit 1 dollar they will accept it? Or what if I go to a store, will they accept it? Because I have a few of these. Like 4, I think.

480px-Presidential_%241_Reverse.png
You could deposit it in your bank account but it is possible that you would have to pay a fee for using a foreign currency. What's more, bank would probably convert it to your currency using an expensive rate. So the final result could be quite small.
It would perhaps be better to change it at an exchange office.

• #1,763
Sophia said:
You could deposit it in your bank account but it is possible that you would have to pay a fee for using a foreign currency. What's more, bank would probably convert it to your currency using an expensive rate. So the final result could be quite small.
It would perhaps be better to change it at an exchange office.
Or sell it online, ebay, etc.?

• #1,764
Psinter said:
There is a dedicated network of U.S. citizens who spend their hard earned money to send those coins overseas to get them out of circulation here. It costs over $3 to get rid of each one, but it's worth it because they're considered an annoyance. Cash registers have no slot for dollar coins and no business wants to accept them. Everyone hates them, but the mint keeps producing them and we're not allowed to just destroy them.

• #1,765
zoobyshoe said:
There is a dedicated network of U.S. citizens who spend their hard earned money to send those coins overseas to get them out of circulation here. It costs over $3 to get rid of each one, but it's worth it because they're considered an annoyance. Cash registers have no slot for dollar coins and no business wants to accept them. Everyone hates them, but the mint keeps producing them and we're not allowed to just destroy them.
Why is it so? You have cent coins, too, don't you? Do you hate them as well?

• #1,766
Sophia said:
Why is it so? You have cent coins, too, don't you? Do you hate them as well?
The problem is that we already have a paper dollar. All cash registers have a slot for paper dollars, but no slots for coin dollars. It's confusing to have two forms for the same amount, and they are too close in size to our quarter dollars. It's quite possible to get and give one instead of a quarter. I did it a couple weeks ago.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,767
zoobyshoe said:
Cash registers have no slot for dollar coins and no business wants to accept them.
Sounds like the Susan B Anthony dollar some time back. Those pretty much went out of circulation for the same reason. I would have hoped the Federal government would have learned from that fiasco, considering the cost of designing and producing a redundant currency no one wants to deal with.

• #1,768
1oldman2 said:
Sounds like the Susan B Anthony dollar some time back. Those pretty much went out of circulation for the same reason. I would have hoped the Federal government would have learned from that fiasco, considering the cost of designing and producing a redundant currency no one wants to deal with.
Every time they release a new dollar coin there are scores of articles questioning why the hell they did it again. The mint's reason had something to do with vending machines I think. It was something lame.

• #1,769
zoobyshoe said:
zoobyshoe said:
Every time they release a new dollar coin there are scores of articles questioning why the hell they did it again. The mint's reason had something to do with vending machines I think. It was something lame.
LOL :DD :DD :DD :oldlaugh: :oldlaugh: :oldlaugh: :oldlaugh:

So it pretty much has no value then, right? I mean, it is people the one that gives values to things, right? What about you zoobyshoe, would you accept them if I buy something from you with them? Let's see, I want chocolate, would you exchange that coin for chocolate?

• #1,770
zoobyshoe said:
Transitioning from dollar bills to dollar coins would save the American taxpayers tens of millions of dollars in production costs each year. While the coins are a bit more costly to initially produce, they stay in circulation much longer. In the long run, coins are the better deal. [Edit: one might be able to make the argument that the difference is a wash though.]

Perhaps the problem is that every time dollar coins go into production, the paper bills keep being produced too; the coins never have a chance to catch on.

Last edited:
  • #1,771
Lets not forget about the two dollar bill fiasco while on the subject of "unwanted currency" there was a shortage of till slots for that one also. The practical test I think is would I want to carry twenty dollars in coins or paper in my pocket/wallet to the store. Most people seem to opt for the "plastic" currency if they have the choice in spite of getting hit for "convenience fees".
On the other hand if anyone has chocolate to barter I will gladly exchange my used snow tires and a spotted dog for whatever the market will bear in dark chocolate. :smile:

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #1,772
1oldman2 said:
Lets not forget about the two dollar bill fiasco...
1oldman2 said:
On the other hand if anyone has chocolate to barter...
Okay, I had to use a dictionary:
fiasco - a thing that is a complete failure, especially in a ludicrous or humiliating way.
barter - exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money.
Good, now I can read it all again and understand. :-p

Likes zoobyshoe and 1oldman2
  • #1,773
More fun: Outlook seems to be selecting random email messages to send to the "deleted" folder. Now I need to watch out the deleted folder every day to avoid having important things deleted.

• #1,774
WWGD said:
More fun: Outlook seems to be selecting random email messages to send to the "deleted" folder. Now I need to watch out the deleted folder every day to avoid having important things deleted.
It's happening to me as well. I saw a few messages in the junk that did not belong there. And some that did legitimately belong in the junk were in the inbox. What a hassle.

• #1,775
Psinter said:
It's happening to me as well. I saw a few messages in the junk that did not belong there. And some that did legitimately belong in the junk were in the inbox. What a hassle.
And it is difficult to just drop the account because that is the only contact info many people have about me. I guess in Microsoft marketing overwhelms engineering quality control.

• #1,776
So it turns out the transition from American dollar notes to dollar coins might not be that big of deal. (The transition would probably be a little bit beneficial, but only a little, and even that is arguable -- @zoobyshoe's argument may have merit if debated well.)

But what I'd really like to see is discontinuation of the American 1 cent penny. 'Nothing against President Lincoln (I love Lincoln), but he is already on the $5 bill. It's just that the penny is more trouble than it's worth (both literally and figuratively).

If there's any discomfort with carrying around a pocket full of change, a load of pennys fair worse. I can hardly even give them away.

• #1,777
collinsmark said:
Transitioning from dollar bills to dollar coins would save the American taxpayers tens of millions of dollars in production costs each year. While the coins are a bit more costly to initially produce, they stay in circulation much longer. In the long run, coins are the better deal. [Edit: one might be able to make the argument that the difference is a wash though.]

Perhaps the problem is that every time dollar coins go into production, the paper bills keep being produced too; the coins never have a chance to catch on.
This explains it. By this logic, they have a good reason for continuing to make the coins, but, as you point out, that is only half the procedure, and so long as they don't take the paper dollar out of circulation, the coins are never going to catch on.

collinsmark said:
But what I'd really like to see is discontinuation of the American 1 cent penny.
It seems to me I read something recently (past six months) that indicated they were planning to do this; get rid of pennies altogether. Or, it could be I read that businesses were going to reprice everything in 5 cent increments to make them moot. At any rate, there is support for this idea.

• #1,778
Psinter said:
So it pretty much has no value then, right? I mean, it is people the one that gives values to things, right? What about you zoobyshoe, would you accept them if I buy something from you with them? Let's see, I want chocolate, would you exchange that coin for chocolate?
They are actually worth a dollar. A store can't refuse to take one. However, when you proffer one to a clerk, you will be at risk of annoying them.

Personally, I am neutral toward chocolate. I'll eat it when it's there, but I don't keep a supply on hand or anything.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,779
WWGD said:
And it is difficult to just drop the account because that is the only contact info many people have about me. I guess in Microsoft marketing overwhelms engineering quality control.
I can't drop it because someone important is going to write me there :heart:... If you know what I mean :biggrin:... Just kidding, it's not someone important at all.
zoobyshoe said:
Personally, I am neutral toward chocolate. I'll eat it when it's there, but I don't keep a supply on hand or anything.
A supply... Hmmmmm... That gives me an idea.

• #1,780
Three weeks until Spring!

• #1,781
WWGD said:
This is the time of year I'm happy to live in the northern hemisphere. :partytime:

• #1,782
WWGD said:
More importantly, it's seven days past Leap Day.

Current temperature at the South Pole: -67 ºF.

• #1,783
zoobyshoe said:
Current temperature at the South Pole: -67 ºF.
Thats what I mean about happy to be in this hemisphere this time of year.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #1,784
Psinter said:
A supply... Hmmmmm... That gives me an idea.
A horde. Whole cases. Stacked to the ceiling. A future without need or want. TOTAL SECURITY!

Likes Sophia and 1oldman2
  • #1,785
What's your favourite chocolate? I like milk that is not too sweet (Milka is too sweet). Between 40-60% of cocoa is my ideal :-) that might classify as dark, I'm not sure.
I will eat those with fruit filling if someone offers, but I would never buy them myself because I like the original taste of chocolate.