Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,451
I realized that I click "like" some people's posts just because they are liked by some other people. I actually didn't finish reading or read the whole posts myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,452
Still a pleasure working with Windows 7 ultimate. I get no sound.Message: speakers are unplugged...but speakers are internal ??!

• #2,453
WWGD said:
Still a pleasure working with Windows 7 ultimate. I get no sound.Message: speakers are unplugged...but speakers are internal ??!

Connectors can become dislodged.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? (I'm ready to start working tech support)

• #2,454
I've found this one: Quantum Suicide - :biggrin:

Guess that was it for me with the MWI ...

• #2,455
How do I manage to achieve @Mark44's magnificent stoicism or @micromass' patience with me when I repeatedly fall into a pithole of a dense set.
Any suggestions? Is that genetic?

• #2,456
fresh_42 said:
How do I manage to achieve @Mark44's magnificent stoicism or @micromass' patience with me when I repeatedly fall into a pithole of a dense set.
Let me set your Overdrive to Stoic. :-p

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,457
fresh_42 said:
Careful with the closure operator or you will be crushed.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,458
Am I the only one who is having trouble looking at this image:

Source
FLn5mon.jpg

The eye strain is strong with this one.

• #2,459
WWGD said:
Careful with the closure operator or you will be crushed.
Yep, I fought with myself. Then I thought it would be somehow rude to talk about people, even if in a positive way, without letting them know.
So politeness won over fear, or should I say angst here?

• #2,460
I don't suppose it's good for a person to eat three pounds of blueberries in one sitting.

Likes Sophia and collinsmark
  • #2,461
zoobyshoe said:
I don't suppose it's good for a person to eat three pounds of blueberries in one sitting.
Except you have collected them in the woods on your own.
(I've recently read that 30 kg (cooked) potatoes a day would be poisonous.)

• #2,462
fresh_42 said:
(I've recently read that 30 kg (cooked) potatoes a day would be poisonous.)
You're safe: there's probably no one on Earth who can eat 30 kg of anything in one day.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,464
I don't want to hijack wrobel's thread about his English so I'll post here. Please feel free to correct my English mistakes whenever I make them. I will be grateful. I know you can't possibly correct every small mistake, but if there's anything that hurts your eyes when you read just tell me. Though I know that I probably won't ever be able to use articles a and the correctly, as that is something completely unnatural for me :-)

• #2,465
To all:

Please don't feel free to correct my English misteaks. I will get mad if you do. Because I don't commit misticks.

I'm just kidding. :-p

Hi Sophie. Long time no see. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, fresh_42 and Sophia
  • #2,466
Steaks and misteaks. A nutritious meal?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter and Sophia
  • #2,467
Psinter said:
To all:

Please don't feel free to correct my English misteaks. I will get mad if you do. Because I don't commit misticks.

I'm just kidding. :-p

Hi Sophie. Long time no see. [emoji2]
Hi Psinter! I was resting from the dangerous claws of the Internet. Or perhaps I was diving even deeper, into abyss of Dark Web? Jk :-) glad to see you again :-)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, WWGD, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #2,468
zoobyshoe said:
A delicious misteak.
Sophia said:
Hi Psinter! I was resting from the dangerous claws of the Internet. Or perhaps I was diving even deeper, into abyss of Dark Web? Jk :-) glad to see you again :-)
Same here. :smile:

Grandpa's at it again:
Real Source (I like these comics.)
3iOdl7m.jpg

• #2,469
Or fishsticks. I'm all about fishsticks.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Psinter
  • #2,470
I was reading an article in new scientist about a wearable polymer called second skin, and all I could think about was that scene from game of thrones when the hot redhead turns into a saggy old witch, the future of dating has never seemed so terrifying!

• #2,471
zoobyshoe said:
Median or dun?

• #2,472
zoobyshoe said:
Missteaks and Mrsteaks

• #2,473
WWGD said:
Missteaks and Mrsteaks
... and their kids who didn't ketchup.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter, zoobyshoe and 2 others
  • #2,474
fresh_42 said:
... and their kids who didn't ketchup.
I laid it out there perfectly for you.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter and fresh_42
  • #2,476
Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #2,477
Just stood in the rain on a crowded railway bridge for a few minutes to see the Flying Scotsman (#flyingscotsman) locomotive go past my local railway station. I inherited a model of it from my father, who saw it on some record-breaking run as a child. Those things are impressive close-up.

Likes OmCheeto and Ibix
  • #2,478
Jonathan Scott said:
Just stood in the rain on a crowded railway bridge for a few minutes to see the Flying Scotsman (#flyingscotsman) locomotive go past my local railway station. I inherited a model of it from my father, who saw it on some record-breaking run as a child. Those things are impressive close-up.
I commute into London Victoria and frequently see the Orient Express (enormously expensive tour of Kent in Pullman coaches) which is often pulled by a steam engine. They are awesome. I completely understand the arguments for going to electric trains, but...

Our train went over a bridge as the Orient Express went under once. The driver announced it - partly a "don't panic about the smoke cloud we're going through" I think. But he sounded excited and it was remarkable how many hardened commuters were craning their necks to see it.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,479
WWGD said:
Good going, Fresh-Beckham. And, BTW, I never miss-steak, I always eat it when it is nearby.
Still, the quadruple pass started of with Sophia.
:DD

You guys are bananas. I laughed a lot with that series of posts.

• #2,480
WWGD said:
Good going, Fresh-Beckham. And, BTW, I never miss-steak, I always eat it when it is nearby.
Still, the quadruple pass started of with Sophia.
That might change when you get this toilet app and your smartphone starts complaining about your not missed-steaks. Then you'll have to go back to your peenut-butt-a-salary.

• #2,481
Ibix said:
... I completely understand the arguments for going to electric trains, but...
Reminds me of the time I went to the electric car drag races, back in 2009.

I went to an electric drag race last year and was rather ho-hummed by the lack of noise.

For example, listen to this image:
3burgandyteslas.jpg
[ref]

It also reminds me of a trip to the coast last summer.

Some.train.parked.at.Rockaway.Beach.2015.06.06.jpg

Curtiss Lumber Co. #2 - Rockaway Beach, Oregon, USA​
I wanted to stare at that thing all day, but my friend insisted we go walk the dog. :oldgrumpy:

Likes Pepper Mint and Ibix
  • #2,482
Jonathan Scott said:
I just spent at least two hours reading about the Flying Scotsman, and looking at about 200 tweets.
Most enjoyable.
Thank you.

• #2,483
OmCheeto said:
I wanted to stare at that thing all day, but my friend insisted we go walk the dog. :oldgrumpy:
Is that one of those designs with the vertical pistons turning an axle mounted lengthwise along the loco? I came across a video of one by chance - it looked really cool. I don't know what the advantages of the design are.

Interesting fact about the Orient Express service I mentioned - it is pulled by an engine called Tornado, which is a modern steam locomotive. It's an improved version of an old class used by London & North Eastern Railway, built by enthusiasts between 1994 and 2009, pretty much just because. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

• #2,484
This talk about locomotives reminded me of this song from a movie:

♬Loco locomotive
Loco locomotive
à vapeur ♬

• #2,485
Ibix said:
Is that one of those designs with the vertical pistons turning an axle mounted lengthwise along the loco?
The pistons are in a "v" pattern.
Heisler.v.twin.png

I came across a video of one by chance - it looked really cool. I don't know what the advantages of the design are.
Everything I know about trains, I learned in the last 12 hours. So I'm the last person you want to direct a question about them.
Interesting fact about the Orient Express service I mentioned - it is pulled by an engine called Tornado, which is a modern steam locomotive. It's an improved version of an old class used by London & North Eastern Railway, built by enthusiasts between 1994 and 2009, pretty much just because. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

I now know about 10 times more about train engine design and history than I think I should.

Lots of interesting and fun stuff on the Tornado though.

On 21 December 2009, Tornado rescued about 100 people who were stranded by bad weather at London Victoria station. On that day, a number of electric trains, which picked up their power from the third rail, were unable to run because of snow and ice on the line.

Take that, E-heads!

Likes fresh_42