Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,401
And Holland (the Netherlands), was once considered to be Spanish territory, and it gets weirder still

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
Once, I remember, a colleague entered our common room at the institute and he announced: "I got it. I calculated that Poland will vanish in the Atlantic 200 years from now!" - You cannot even imagine how I wish he will be wrong. One of the reasons, maybe the only, I love the EU for. However, it actually looks like these idiots of politicians (all over the continent + the island) are willing to throw it away because of some thousand refugees. Unbelievable. I hate it if people haven't learned anything from history. You Americans aren't the only one whose politicians are mainly nuts. - Someone ought to send me to sleep ...

Last edited:
Likes Psinter, Sophia and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,403
Good night.

• #1,404
I have this intense need for chocolate right now and the internet throws me this. :cry:

Likes fresh_42 and Sophia
  • #1,405
Psinter said:
I have this intense need for chocolate right now and the internet throws me this. :cry:
Psinter, listen to your body. If it needs chocolate, eat chocolate. If anyone criticises you, tell them you have low magnesium level and even though you hate chocolate, you MUST eat it in order to prevent breakdown of your nervous system!

Likes Psinter
  • #1,406
Sophia said:
Psinter, listen to your body. If it needs chocolate, eat chocolate. If anyone criticises you, tell them you have low magnesium level and even though you hate chocolate, you MUST eat it in order to prevent breakdown of your nervous system!
Well, I'm underweight by 10 pounds. All people around me say is: "Damn you that can eat so much and not gain weight." and "Why do you eat so much and not gain weight?"

The bad part of it is that no matter how hard I try I don't gain muscle mass either. They only get shaped, not bigger. They grow, but I noticed it requires a ridiculous effort compared to how fast my friends make theirs grow. Like way much more effort. So I stick to just giving them shape.

EDIT: In resume, I don't get much critics for eating chocolate.

• #1,407
Sophia said:
Sorry for the double post, I'm leaving now, but check this out:

de4417bdf2f70be3afede4c729b9269e.jpg

:oldlaugh: :oldlaugh: :oldlaugh: :oldlaugh:

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,408
Silicon Waffle said:
Seriously, I always hear the noises on pages where e.g animation, marque texts etc exist, even when I scroll my mouse up and down. Do you know why ? :biggrin:
I frequently hear such noises as well, especially when my volume is turned up high. I assume that the audio circuitry is picking up some electrical interference either from the video circuitry or from the processor circuitry.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,409
Determinants suck!

Luckily there's Mathematica.

• #1,411
PF is shutting down for a while tonight.

• #1,412
zoobyshoe said:
PF is shutting down for a while tonight.
Where did you learn that? :oldconfused: It has been shutting down for a while already. :frown: But it's okay, an awesome site like this requires good maintenance. :hammer:

• #1,413
Psinter said:
Where did you learn that? :oldconfused: It has been shutting down for a while already. :frown: But it's okay, an awesome site like this requires good maintenance.
I learned that in the feedback forum. It will happen about two hours from now.

• #1,414
zoobyshoe said:
I learned that in the feedback forum. It will happen about two hours from now.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I'll leave you now then, good night. :sleep:

• #1,416
Still confused on how my project went from being unwieldy to being simple to the point of being boring. No PMs needed for sure.

• #1,417
I'm about to eat a big slab o' salmon and a baked potato.

Likes Silicon Waffle and collinsmark
  • #1,418
zoobyshoe said:
I'm about to eat a big slab o' salmon and a baked potato.
Definitely "zooby food" I think.

• #1,419
dlgoff said:
Definitely "zooby food" I think.
Definitely.

The salmon, though, had the skin on it on one side. That's not zoobie food. I had to get it off and it doesn't come off that easily.

• #1,420
I like salmon skin a lot. But people on diet or would want to stay away from oily fat tend to get rid of them.
I feel very tired, bored and sleepy.

• #1,421
zoobyshoe said:
Definitely.

The salmon, though, had the skin on it on one side. That's not zoobie food. I had to get it off and it doesn't come off that easily.

I cook and eat it with the skin still left on that one side. The skin side goes on the bottom (touching the plate) when served. (This is actually a common way to serve it). You don't need to eat the skin though if you don't want to. It can serve as its own additional "plate," so to speak. When eating, cut through the salmon with the fork (or table knife) until you get to the skin, and then stop. Eat the salmon bite and leave skin intact. In the end, that slab of skin (still intact as a single piece of skin) remains on the plate.

[Edit: this may not work well if you are eating it sashimi style, but it works great if you cook the salmon, since after cooking, the salmon meat almost slides off the skin, when eating it bite by bite, with a fork (and optional table knife).]

Last edited:
  • #1,422
collinsmark said:
I cook and eat it with the skin still left on that one side. The skin goes on the bottom (touching the plate) when served. (This is actually a common way to serve it).
I guess you're all just too lazy to pull the skin off, then.

Likes Silicon Waffle and collinsmark
  • #1,423
zoobyshoe said:
I guess you're all just too lazy to pull the skin off, then.
That sounds about right. I am lazy. :woot: Tearing off the skin before serving is more trouble than it's worth. :smile:

In my defense though, back in the day when I had a lot of cash coming it and would eat at expensive restaurants, that's the way they would serve it -- salmon steak complete with layer of skin still on the bottom side*.

*although they didn't phrase it in those words on the menu. You'd find out eventually though, one way or the other.

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
  • #1,424
collinsmark said:
That sounds about right. I am lazy. Tearing off the skin before serving is more trouble than it's worth. o0)

In my defense, back in the day when I had a lot of cash coming it and would eat at expensive restaurants, that's the way they would serve it -- salmon steak complete with layer of skin still on the bottom side*.

*although they didn't phrase it in those words on the menu. You'd find out eventually though, one way or the other.
Many years ago I went with a friend to an expensive outdoor restaurant in Big Sur. I ordered trout. So, later, when the waitress brought our food, she asked me, "Would you like me to bone your trout?"

Likes Sophia, Silicon Waffle and collinsmark
  • #1,425
zoobyshoe said:
Many years ago I went with a friend to an expensive outdoor restaurant in Big Sur. I ordered trout. So, later, when the waitress brought our food, she asked me, "Would you like me to bone your trout?"
Omg :-) than you could sue her if you choked with a bone

• #1,426
Sophia said:
Omg :-) than you could sue her if you choked with a bone
Oh no...he can't sue people on a bone that gets stuck at his throat while eating.:biggrin: Not this bone, they would claim.

BTW I really like zoobyshoe very much and his salmon too. Sounds very good.

Likes collinsmark and Sophia
  • #1,427
Silicon Waffle said:
Oh no...he can't sue people on a bone that gets stuck at his throat while eating.[emoji3] Not this bone, they would claim.

BTW I really like zoobyshoe very much and his salmon too. Sounds very good.
Yes I like him too. He's funny and easygoing :-)
And I like all others that I know from the Lounge. There's too many names and I will not write them all because I might forget someone :-)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,428
Silicon Waffle said:
I like salmon skin a lot. But people on diet or would want to stay away from oily fat tend to get rid of them.
I feel very tired, bored and sleepy.
This may be the good type of fats, the unsaturated type.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
  • #1,429
When you connect to a web site, Http Status Codes are involved. I've always had a fondness for 418. :woot:

Likes Silicon Waffle, Ibix, Sophia and 3 others
  • #1,430
I just read that it is forbidden by the constitution in my place for any individual (ordinary or from the government) to assign themselves or bestow upon others titles of royalty. You know, like Duchess, King, Queen, etc. Politicians also cannot accept gifts or money from the heads of religious organizations in exchange for legislating (making laws) in favor of the religious organization, but you know...

• #1,431
Psinter said:
I just read that it is forbidden by the constitution in my place for any individual (ordinary or from the government) to assign themselves or bestow upon others titles of royalty. You know, like Duchess, King, Queen, etc. Politicians also cannot accept gifts or money from the heads of religious organizations in exchange for legislating (making laws) in favor of the religious organization, but you know...
It would be cool to get into the government and than proclaim that you are the King or Queen :partytime:
52116681.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle and Psinter
  • #1,432
Borg said:
When you connect to a web site, Http Status Codes are involved. I've always had a fondness for 418. :woot:
I don't need even a server for 417 ...

Likes Ibix
  • #1,433
Borg said:
I love these technical jokes. RFC 1149 is one of my favourites, made better by the fact that someone claims to have implemented it...

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,434
I had to venture out in my car today and do some zoobie stuff. I noticed, as I often do, that there were cobwebs around the lower parts of the car. I can't understand this. I drive it at least once a day, and you'd think that would be enough to discourage spiders. But I suppose spiders don't get cars and think that if a structure is stationary when they encounter it, it will always be stationary.

• #1,435
Ibix said:
I love these technical jokes. RFC 1149 is one of my favourites, made better by the fact that someone claims to have implemented it...
Lol. What should we say then whose primary language isn't English. At least half of all technical devices have a documentation that is seemingly translated by "Google translate" or even worse by the use of a dictionary. Mostly they were in English before.
Btw the pictures of those who implemented RFC 1149 tell it all. Would have been nice to read how they tested it in the end. :wink: