Finding the range and PMF of Y = |X − 5| when X ~ Geometric(1/3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jonobro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Range
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Jonobro
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let X∼Geometric(1/3), and let Y=|X−5|. Find the range and PMF of Y.

Homework Equations


Px(k) = p(1-p)^(k-1) for x=1,2,3...

3. My attempt at a solution
I set up the PMF for Px

Px(k) = 1/3(2/3)^(k-1) for k = 1,2,3,...
However I don't know how to convert this to Y
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonobro said:

Homework Statement


Let X∼Geometric(1/3), and let Y=|X−5|. Find the range and PMF of Y.

Homework Equations


Px(k) = p(1-p)^(k-1) for x=1,2,3...

3. My attempt at a solution
I set up the PMF for Px

Px(k) = 1/3(2/3)^(k-1) for k = 1,2,3,...
However I don't know how to convert this to Y

Really? For what values of ##X## do you get ##Y = 0##? Which value (or values) of ##X## give you ##Y = 1##? Etc., etc.