1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameter space for the negative binomial distribution

1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the negative binomial distribution, with r known, describe the natural parameter space

2. Relevant equations
    the pmf for the negative binomial distribution with parameters r and p can be
    1) [itex]P(X=x|r,p)= \binom {x-1}{r-1}p^{r}(1-p)^{x-r} [/itex] where [itex]x=r,r+1,... [/itex], or
    2) [itex]P(Y=y|r,p)= \binom {y+r-1}{y}p^{r}(1-p)^{y} [/itex] where [itex]y=0,1,... [/itex].

A distribution, like the one above where r is known, is a member of the exponential family of distributions. An exponential distribution is one that can be expressed as...

[itex]h(x)c^{*}(\eta) exp(\sum_{i=1}^{k} \eta_i t_i(x)) [/itex]

The parameter space are the values of [itex]\eta [/itex] such that [itex]\sum_A h(x) exp(\sum_{i=1}^{k} \eta_i t_i(x)) < \infty [/itex] where [itex]A [/itex] is the support of the pmf.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Rewriting the 2nd pmf for the negative binomial distribution, as an exponential distribution, I have

[itex]h(y) = \binom {y+r-1}{y} [/itex], [itex]c(p) = p^{r} \cdot I_(0,1)(p) [/itex], [itex]t_1(y)=y [/itex], and [itex]w_1(p) = ln(1-p) [/itex].

Then I let [itex]\eta = w_1(p) [/itex], and find the values for [itex]\eta [/itex] where the sum converges.

I have [itex]\sum_{y=0}^{\infty} \binom{r+y-1}{y}(e^{\eta})^{y} [/itex], and I don't recognize this sum as anything that converges.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-z)^r} \equiv (1-z)^{-r} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \binom{r+k-1}{k} z^k.[/tex]
    The reason for the name "negative binomial distribution" is that it comes from "negative binomial coefficients" ##\binom{-r}{k} = (-1)^k \binom{r+k-1}{k}## associated with the "negative binomial" series ##(1-z)^{-r}##. You ought to be able to show that the series converges for ##|z| < 1## because it just generalizes the series for ##1/(1-z)##.

4. Aug 13, 2014 #3
    That look's like a winner.

I had thought of using the 1st pmf for the negative binomial distribution. Then I'd have the exponential distribution as:

[itex]h(x) = \binom {x-1}{r-1} \cdot I_{(r,r+1,...)}(x) [/itex], [itex] c(p) = p^{r} \cdot I_{(0,1)} [/itex], [itex]t_1(x) = x-r [/itex], and [itex]w_1(p) = ln(1-p) [/itex].

Then letting [itex]w_1(p) = \eta [/itex] and solving the series for [itex]\eta [/itex]:

[itex]\sum_X \binom {x-r}{r-1} e^{(x-r)\eta} = \sum_X \binom {x-r}{r-1} (e^{\eta})^{x-r} [/itex],

then I recognized this series: [itex] \sum_{x=r}^{\infty} \binom {x-1}{r-1}w^{x-r} = (1-w)^{r} [/itex].

So I have [itex] (1-e^{\eta})^r [/itex].

I'm not sure, but I think the constraint is that [itex] |e^{\eta}| < 1 [/itex].

Is this right?

5. Aug 13, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot make any sense out of what you write above.

Your previous post had a simple, explicit question, and I answered it. If you put ##z = e^{\eta}## you will get the summation you had in your first post, and I already pointed out what restrictions apply to ##z##.

6. Aug 13, 2014 #5
    Thanks for your first reply. I thanked you for it.

Maybe my reply was lengthy and ambiguous. I asked you about the constraints for w in this series,

[itex]\sum_{x=r}^{\infty} \binom {x-1}{r-1} w^{x-r} = (1-w)^{r} [/itex], which I found at this webpage.

I think it's the same series you gave, with a change in the index, letting [itex]x=y+r [/itex], I have

[itex] \sum_{y=0}^{\infty} \binom {r+y-1}{y} z^{y} = \sum_{x=r}^{\infty} \binom {x-1}{x-r}z^{x-r} = \sum_{x=r}^{\infty} \binom {x-1}{r-1}z^{x-r} [/itex]

My question is this: Is the webpage wrong?

7. Aug 13, 2014 #6
    Looking at the negative binomial distribution as a particular case of the general binomial series, I see the formula on the webpage was wrong.

Note to self: do not trust all websites.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted