Ranges of simple quadratic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a function with two quadratic equations and the discriminant being positive or zero. The equations are used to find a range for y but there is confusion about the number of equations and the signs used. The person also clarifies that they mean one quadratic equation over the other, creating a quadratic fraction.
Kartik.
Taking a general function with two quadratic eqs,
Y = (ax^2+bx+c / px^2+qx+r)
ax+bx+c = pyx^2+qxy+ry
x^2(a-py) + x(b-qy)+(c-ry)=0
The discriminant turns out to be a+ve or a 0.
So,
(b-qy)^2 - 4(a-py)(c-ry) >or= 0
Now how does this equation yield a range for y?or can it?what are the next steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say you have "two quadratic equations" but I see three equations, none of which is quadratic.

that is probably because of me using the m.physicsforum because of which i lack a "^2”(at the 2nd equation, the way you put it) and a couple of signs of implications after the first equation(which is the attempt towards the solution) and by saying i have two quadratic equations, i mean to say one quadratic eq over the other = quadratic fraction

What is a simple quadratic function?

A simple quadratic function is a mathematical equation of the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a type of polynomial function that can be graphed as a parabola.

What is the range of a quadratic function?

The range of a quadratic function is the set of all possible output values, or y-values, that the function can produce. In other words, it is the vertical extent of the graph of the function.

How can I determine the range of a simple quadratic function?

To determine the range of a simple quadratic function, first determine the vertex of the parabola by using the formula x = -b/2a. Then, substitute this value for x in the original function to find the corresponding y value. This y value is the maximum or minimum value of the function and is the upper or lower bound of the range.

Can a simple quadratic function have a range of all real numbers?

Yes, a simple quadratic function can have a range of all real numbers if the coefficient a is positive. This means that the parabola opens upwards and extends infinitely in the positive and negative directions on the y-axis.

What is the difference between the range and domain of a quadratic function?

The range of a quadratic function is the set of all possible output values, while the domain is the set of all possible input values. In other words, the range is the vertical extent of the graph and the domain is the horizontal extent.