Rate of change question (pretty confusing)

In summary: I never claimed this. Please, quote specifically where I ever claimed such an invalid response in any of my posts here.
Sirsh
3. The volume of a tank used to provide water for animals at an animal enclosure at the local show is given by V(h) = (0.2h^3+3h)m^3 where h metres is the depth of the water in the tank at any time t seconds. Water is being added to the tank at a constant rate of 0.4 m3 per second. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth of water in the tank is 2.1 metres.

So i differentiated the equation: v(h) = (0.2h^3+3h) m^3, which is v'(h) = (0.6h^2+3) m^3. But because the limit is 2.1m, and the amount of liquid going into the object is going in at 0.4m^3 a second. so if i use v'(2.1)= (0.6h^2+3) m^3 and solve for h.. i can divide h by 0.4 and find out the time it took to reach 2.1m?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
U need to find dH/dt, i.e the rate at which water level is rising,,
lets say, dV/dH=(dV/dt).(dt/dH).
write dV/dH expression, from the relation given at h=2.1 m.
since know what dV/dt is i.e, o.4 m^3/sec, u can find out dH/dt!

What was the answer you got? I got 0.071 m/s.

i got 0.053

Then I'll confirm that Anakin_k is correct.

I think it should be dV/dT = dH/dT * dV/dH rather than what you had, Mandeep.

its all the same! u cn write it whichever way u wish too
u have dV/dt, dV/dh... its not a big deal to get dH/dt

dude m really sorry... i messd up the calc..
its 0.071 only!

Mandeep Deka said:
dude m really sorry... i messd up the calc..
its 0.071 only!

A piece of writing advice. You don't really need to put exclamation marks in everything you write. At some point it starts to lose its meaning. In fact, in a math homework forum I dare say an exclamation point would probably never be necessary.

deltapapazulu said:
In fact, in a math homework forum I dare say an exclamation point would probably never be necessary.

But if I couldn't use exclamation marks then what good does does it this equality? 3+3=3!

:smile:

I think you must be really excited about 3+3=3. I, on the other hand, know that 3+3!=3. :p

Mindscrape said:
I think you must be really excited about 3+3=3.
I never claimed this. Please, quote specifically where I ever claimed such an invalid response in any of my posts here.

I, on the other hand, know that 3+3!=3. :p
You don't know very much then do you :tongue:

Mentallic said:
But if I couldn't use exclamation marks then what good does does it this equality? 3+3=3!

:smile:

Mindscrape said:
I think you must be really excited about 3+3=3. I, on the other hand, know that 3+3!=3. :p

A few spaces would make it more clear that you meant 3 + 3 != 3, or better yet, 3 + 3 [itex]\neq[/itex] 3.

1. What is the definition of rate of change?

The rate of change, also known as the slope, is a measure of how much a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the rate of change on a graph?

To find the rate of change on a graph, you can choose two points on the graph and use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where y2 and y1 are the y-coordinates of the two points and x2 and x1 are the corresponding x-coordinates.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. The average rate of change gives an overall picture of the change in quantity, while the instantaneous rate of change gives the exact rate of change at a specific moment.

4. Can the rate of change be negative?

Yes, the rate of change can be negative. This indicates that the quantity is decreasing over time. For example, if the rate of change of temperature is -2 degrees Celsius per hour, it means that the temperature is decreasing by 2 degrees every hour.

5. How is rate of change used in real life?

Rate of change is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the growth rate of a population, or measuring the rate of change of stock prices. It is an important concept in various fields including physics, economics, and biology.