Rate of convergence for (2n² + n + 1)/(n² - 3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Link-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence Rate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
Link-
Messages
99
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the Rate of Convergence of [tex]\alpha = \frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3}[/tex]

n=1,2,3,...,...

Homework Equations



[tex]lim n->\infty=\alpha _{n}[/tex]

[tex]|\alpha-\alpha _{n} |\leq K*|\beta n|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I found the limit of alpha [tex]\alpha _{n}= 2[/tex]

Then,

[tex]|\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3 -2}|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]

Here I'm stock.

-Link
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Link- said:
[tex]|\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3 -2}|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]
Heh, you misplaced a bracket, obviously you meant
[tex]|\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3} -2|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]

I also wonder what you mean by rate of convergence, but taking the "simple" definition on this Wikipedia page I think you want to start out by filling in
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1} - 2}{a_n - 2} <br /> = \frac{ \frac{2n^2+n+1}{n^2-3} - 2 }{ \frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3} - 2 }[/tex]
and work it out as you did above, then take the limit
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_{n+1} - 2}{a_n - 2}[/tex].

I don't know what definition you use though.
 
Yes I misplaced a bracket, thanks compuchip.

Rate of convergence definition.

Suppose [tex]\left \{\beta _{n} \right\}}^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] is a sequence known to converge to zero, and [tex]\left\{\alpha _{n} \right\} ^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] converges to a number [tex]\alpha[/tex]. If a positive constant K ecists with

[tex]| \alpha _{n} - \alpha| \leq K|\beta _{n}|[/tex], for large n,

then we way that [tex]\left\{\alpha _{n} \right\} ^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] converges to [tex]\alpha[/tex] with rate of convergence [tex]O( \beta _{n})[/tex]. It is idndicated by writing [tex]\alpha _{n}=\alpha + O( \beta _{n})[/tex].

Obtained from "Numerical Analysis 8th ed", by Burden and Faires.