Rate of Convergence for sin(1/x^2) with Maclaurin is undefined?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of convergence for the function sin(1/n^2) as n approaches infinity. The attempt at a solution involved using the Maclaurin series, but there was confusion about the use of the series and how to deal with the undefined term 1/0. It was later realized that the Maclaurin series should be applied to sin(x) first and then substituted with x=1/n^2.
krittis
I decided to put my attempt at a solution before the question, because the "solution" is what my question is about.

Homework Statement

Find the rate of convergence for the following as n->infinity:
lim [sin(1/n^2)]
n->inf

Let f(n) = sin(1/n^2) for simplicity.

2. The attempt at a solution
I was searching through other forums and resources, and finally found a solution.
It said to use the Maclaurin Series (thus x0 = 0), but this would make every term
to look like:

f(0) + f'(0)*(n^1) + (1/2)*f''(0)*(n^2) + (1/4)*f'''(0)*(n^3) + ... + remainder

3. Relevant equations
How can we solve when 1/0 is undefined?
For example, in *every* term we have a sin(1/0^x) somewhere. This doesn't work, obviously.

This is solvable using the first few terms of the Maclaurin polynomial according to other sources, but I do not understand how. Did I overlook something? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding the question?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear. I just figured it out.

We shouldn't be finding the Maclaurin series for sin(1/x^2) at all. It should be for sin(x) first (with x0=0), then we let x=1/x^2 afterwards. Silly me...

1. What is the meaning of "rate of convergence" in this context?

The rate of convergence refers to how quickly a mathematical series or sequence approaches a certain value or limit. In this case, we are looking at the rate of convergence for the Maclaurin series of sin(1/x^2) as x approaches infinity.

2. Why is the Maclaurin series for sin(1/x^2) undefined?

The Maclaurin series for a function is a representation of that function as an infinite polynomial, where the coefficients are determined by the derivatives of the function at a specific point. In this case, because the function sin(1/x^2) has an infinite number of derivatives that are all equal to 0 at x=0, the Maclaurin series is undefined.

3. Can we still use the Maclaurin series to approximate sin(1/x^2) in this case?

No, we cannot use the Maclaurin series to approximate sin(1/x^2) in this case because the series is undefined. We would need to find another method of approximation, such as using a Taylor series or a numerical method.

4. Is there a way to determine the convergence rate for sin(1/x^2) with Maclaurin?

No, since the Maclaurin series for sin(1/x^2) is undefined, there is no convergence rate for this particular function. Convergence rates are only applicable for convergent series.

5. Are there any other methods we can use to determine the behavior of sin(1/x^2) as x approaches infinity?

Yes, we can use graphical or numerical methods to observe the behavior of sin(1/x^2) as x approaches infinity. We can also use the limit definition of a function to determine the limit of sin(1/x^2) as x approaches infinity, which in this case would be 0.