1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Convergence for sin(1/x^2) with Maclaurin is undefined?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    I decided to put my attempt at a solution before the question, because the "solution" is what my question is about.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the rate of convergence for the following as n->infinity:
    lim [sin(1/n^2)]

Let f(n) = sin(1/n^2) for simplicity.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I was searching through other forums and resources, and finally found a solution.
    It said to use the Maclaurin Series (thus x0 = 0), but this would make every term
    to look like:

f(0) + f'(0)*(n^1) + (1/2)*f''(0)*(n^2) + (1/4)*f'''(0)*(n^3) + ... + remainder

3. Relevant equations
    How can we solve when 1/0 is undefined?
    For example, in *every* term we have a sin(1/0^x) somewhere. This doesn't work, obviously.

This is solvable using the first few terms of the Maclaurin polynomial according to other sources, but I do not understand how. Did I overlook something? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    Oh dear. I just figured it out.

We shouldn't be finding the Maclaurin series for sin(1/x^2) at all. It should be for sin(x) first (with x0=0), then we let x=1/x^2 afterwards. Silly me...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?