Rate of lim exp(x) ~? rate of lim exp(-x)

• Thread starter BCox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, at a rate at which the new function approaches infinity, the rate of the original function also approaches infinity.
BCox
Hello:
The actual functional analysis for my rate of convergence is a bit more complicated. But essentially the problem I have is knowing if the following is true:

lim exp(x) -> infinity as x->infinity
is at the same rate as
lim exp(-x) -> 0 as x-> infinity

? Would really appreciate the actual answer. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rate as in slope of a function?

if
f(x) = e^x
g(x) = e^-x

then
f'(x) = e^x
g'(x) = -e^-x

so
f'(x) / g'(x) = -1

So in absolute value, the rate is the same. Although one is positive and the other negative. Does this answer your question?

Yes, it does.

What if my f(x) = e^x + cot y ... where my y is another variable for which cot y may diverge to positive infinity? I am still only interested in the rate for when x -> infinity.

What would g(x) look like for the rate at which the new f(x) approaches infinity at the same rate that g(x) approaches zero?

ImAnEngineer said:
f'(x) = e^x
g'(x) = -e^-x

so
f'(x) / g'(x) = -1
Um, no.
BCox said:
What would g(x) look like for the rate at which the new f(x) approaches infinity at the same rate that g(x) approaches zero?
What is "the rate at which <something> approaches infinity"? I mean, I know what it is for one function to approach infinity faster than another, but what is it for one function to approach infinity faster than another function approaches zero?

Preno said:
Um, no.
What is "the rate at which <something> approaches infinity"? I mean, I know what it is for one function to approach infinity faster than another, but what is it for one function to approach infinity faster than another function approaches zero?

Yes, I looked at that more closely and realized that is wrong. The question behind the question is, what is the rate of the following at which the function below approaches zero:

lim (1/y) arccot [ -exp(x)/sin(y) - cot(y) ] ->0 as x->infinity

where y is (-pi,0)

:yuck: what a nonsense i wrote, sorry

1. What is the limit of the exponential function as x approaches infinity?

The limit of the exponential function as x approaches infinity is equal to infinity. This means that the function grows without bound as x gets larger and larger.

2. How does the rate of change of exp(x) compare to the rate of change of exp(-x)?

The rate of change of exp(x) is equal to the function itself, while the rate of change of exp(-x) is equal to the negative of the function. This means that exp(x) increases at an increasing rate, while exp(-x) decreases at a decreasing rate.

3. Is there a specific value for the rate of lim exp(x) ~? rate of lim exp(-x) as x approaches zero?

No, the rate of lim exp(x) ~? rate of lim exp(-x) as x approaches zero is undefined. This is because both the exponential function and its negative approach infinity as x approaches zero, and the specific rate of change cannot be determined.

4. How does the rate of lim exp(x) ~? rate of lim exp(-x) change as x approaches negative infinity?

The rate of lim exp(x) ~? rate of lim exp(-x) decreases as x approaches negative infinity. This is because the exponential function decreases at a decreasing rate as x gets smaller, while its negative decreases at an increasing rate.

5. Can the limit of the exponential function be calculated using L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, L'Hôpital's rule can be used to calculate the limit of the exponential function as x approaches infinity. However, it cannot be used when x approaches zero, as the limit is undefined in this case.