Rate of Reaction with Respect to Temperature

In summary, the rate of the reaction at 100 degrees Celsius is four times the rate at 50 degrees Celsius. To determine the activation energy, we can use the equation k=e-Ea/RT and plug in the different activation energy values until we find the one that results in a rate four times higher at 100 degrees Celsius. The correct activation energy is 27.8 kJ/mol.
Teemo

Homework Statement

The rate of a reaction at 100˚C is four times the rate at
50˚C. What is its activation energy?
(A) 1152 kJ. mol-1
(B) 80.1 kJ. mol-1
(C) 54.0 kJ. mol-1
(D) 27.8 kJ. mol-1

Homework Equations

k=e-Ea/RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the activation energies into the equation to see the changes in rate at different temperatures, but I can't solve for the one that is 4x the rate at 100 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teemo said:
I plugged in the activation energies into the equation to see the changes in rate at different temperatures, but I can't solve for the one that is 4x the rate at 100 degrees.
Please show your work.

Nevermind, I had a calculation error :p

1. What is the relationship between temperature and rate of reaction?

The rate of reaction increases as the temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy, allowing them to move and collide more frequently and with more force, resulting in a higher rate of successful collisions and therefore a faster reaction.

2. How does temperature affect the activation energy of a reaction?

An increase in temperature decreases the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy and are able to overcome the energy barrier required for a reaction to take place.

3. Is there a specific temperature at which a reaction will occur the fastest?

Yes, each reaction has an optimal temperature at which it will occur at the fastest rate. This temperature is known as the "reaction rate constant" and can be determined experimentally.

4. Can the rate of a reaction be affected by a change in temperature?

Yes, the rate of a reaction is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that a change in temperature will result in a corresponding change in the rate of the reaction.

5. How does temperature affect the equilibrium of a reaction?

Temperature can affect the equilibrium of a reaction by shifting it in either the forward or reverse direction. An increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction.