Ratio of partial sum to total sum

So\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k}{k} \leq \frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_n}{n}Which is equivalent to the original inequality. In summary, we are given n real numbers that are non-negative and arranged in ascending order. We need to show that the ratio of the sum of the first k numbers to the sum of all n numbers is always less than or equal to the ratio of k to n. To prove this, we use the concept of mean and show that the mean of the first k numbers is always less than or equal to the mean of all n numbers.
txy

Homework Statement

Given n real numbers [tex]x_1, x_2, \dotsb , x_n[/tex] which satisfy [tex]0 \leq x_1 \leq x_2 \leq \dotsb \leq x_n[/tex],
show that
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k}{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_n} \leq \frac{k}{n}, \forall 1 \leq k \leq n[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]x_1 = x_2 = \dotsb = x_n[/tex], then
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k}{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_n} = \frac{k(x_1)}{n(x_1)} = \frac{k}{n}[/tex].

If they are not all equal, suppose [tex]x_1 \neq x_2[/tex], then everything except [tex]x_1[/tex] would be strictly positive. Then I don't know how to continue. I can't seem to get a nice inequality coming out.

Edit: I just realized that by moving the terms around in the above inequality, I get
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k}{k} \leq \frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_n}{n}[/tex]
This is like saying that the mean of a set of numbers increases when even bigger numbers are added to the set. This seems intuitive enough, but I haven't figured out how to prove this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've solved it.
Let
[tex]\overline{X}_k = \frac{1}{k}\left(x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k\right)[/tex]
Then
[tex]x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k = k\overline{X}_k[/tex]
Because [tex]\overline{X}_k[/tex] is the mean, we have
[tex]\overline{X}_k \leq x_k \leq x_{k+1} \leq \dotsb \leq x_n[/tex]
So
[tex]x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k + x_{k+1} + x_{k+2} + \dotsb + x_n
= k\overline{X}_k + x_{k+1} + x_{k+2} + \dotsb + x_n
\geq k\overline{X}_k + \overline{X}_k + \overline{X}_k + \dotsb + \overline{X}_k
= n\overline{X}_k[/tex]
And therefore
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k + x_{k+1} + x_{k+2} + \dotsb + x_n}{n} \geq \overline{X}_k = \frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dotsb + x_k}{k}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the ratio of partial sum to total sum?

The ratio of partial sum to total sum is a mathematical concept that represents the proportion of a partial sum to the total sum in a given set of numbers. It is calculated by dividing the partial sum by the total sum.

2. How is the ratio of partial sum to total sum useful in scientific research?

The ratio of partial sum to total sum is useful in scientific research as it allows for the comparison and analysis of data sets. It can help identify patterns and trends within a set of data and provide insights into the relationship between different variables.

3. Can the ratio of partial sum to total sum be greater than 1?

No, the ratio of partial sum to total sum cannot be greater than 1. This is because it represents a proportion, and a proportion cannot be larger than the whole.

4. How does the ratio of partial sum to total sum differ from the concept of percentage?

The ratio of partial sum to total sum is expressed as a decimal or fraction, while percentage is expressed as a percentage value. Additionally, the ratio compares two numbers in relation to each other, while percentage compares a number to the whole.

5. Can the ratio of partial sum to total sum be negative?

Yes, the ratio of partial sum to total sum can be negative. This occurs when the partial sum is smaller than the total sum, resulting in a negative proportion. However, in scientific research, negative ratios may indicate an error or incorrect data and should be further investigated.