Rational function helpp needed immedietly

In summary, when astronauts go into space, they feel lighter due to the decrease in weight as they rise above Earth's gravitational pull. This can be calculated using the formula W(h) = We/(1+h/6400)^2, where We is the weight at sea level and W(h) is the weight at h km above sea level. To have a weight of less than 10 N, W(h) needs to be less than 10, which can be solved by multiplying both sides of the equation by (1+h/6400)^2 and taking the square root.
gamefreak
rational function helpp needed immedietly !

1. when astraunauts go into space, they feel lighter. this is because weight decreases as a person rises above Earth's gravitational pull according to the formula

W(h) = We/(1+h/6400)^2

where We is the person's weight in Newtons, at sea level on Earth and W(h) is the weight at h km above sea level

Q) at what range of altitudes will this astraunaut have a weight of less than 10 N?

Homework Equations

W(h) = We/(1+h/6400)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted it by trying various methods, it will take too long to type it up here and i already have the answer in the book i tried but i could not get that answer

so please help ! I would really appreciate that . thank you !

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

W(h) is the weight of the person at a height of h above sea level. For this person to weigh less than 10 Newtons, W(h) needs to be less than 10. So set W(h)<10 and solve for h.

Well you basically want to find when W(h)<10

so just solve for h in

[tex]\frac{820}{(1+\frac{h}{6400})^2}<10[/tex]

ok so when i solve that I end up with

82 (h+1)^2 > 0

im lost now?

You didn't solve for h correctly. Hint: multiply both sides by (1+h/6400)2 and then take the square root of both sides.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that is made up of a ratio of two polynomial functions, where the denominator is not equal to zero.

2. How do you identify a rational function?

A rational function can be identified by looking at its equation, which will have both a numerator and a denominator that are polynomial functions. It may also have a variable in the denominator.

3. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the possible values that the independent variable (usually denoted as x) can take without making the denominator equal to zero. It is important to note that the domain may be restricted in some cases, depending on the specific function.

4. How do you graph a rational function?

To graph a rational function, you can start by finding its intercepts (where the function crosses the x and y axes). Then, plot additional points by choosing different values for x and solving for y. Lastly, connect all the points to create a smooth curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of rational functions?

Rational functions are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to model real-world phenomena. They can be used to represent the relationship between two variables, such as distance and time, or to analyze data and make predictions.