1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational numbers, supremum (Is my proof correct?)

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the set ##\{x \in \mathbf Q; x^2< 2 \}## has no least upper bound in ##\mathbf Q##; using that if ##r## were one then ##r^2=2##. Do this assuming that the real field haven't been constructed.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt at proof:
    ##r\in Q## is an upper bound of the set if and only if ##r^2 \ge 2##.
    Choose any ##r_1 \in \mathbf Q## that satisfies ##r_1^2 >2##. Then ##r_1## is an upper bound of the set.
    Set ##r_2 = r_1-\frac{r_1^2-2}{r_1+2}<r_1 \Longrightarrow r_2^2=2+\frac{2(r_1^2-2)}{(r_1+2)^2}>2##.
    Note that ##r_2 \in \mathbf Q## and ##r_2 < r_1##. ##r_2## is also an upper bound since ##r_2^2>2##.

This shows that for every upper bound ##r_1## with ##r_1^2 > 2## there's always possible to find an upper bound ##r_2## where ##r_2<r_1##. Hence the only possible least upper bound satisfy ##r^2=2## but there is no ##r\in \mathbf Q## that satisfy that. Hence the set have no least upper bound in ##\mathbf Q##.

Is the above correct? Anything I can do to improve it? I'm also wondering about the choice of ##r_2##. I remembered that from an earlier example in our book but I'm not sure I could've come up with a choice like that by myself without a lot of trial and error. How would I go about finding a choice like that in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get the following?
    When I square ##r_2## I get 2 plus a fraction with the same denominator as yours but a messy quartic in ##r_1## in the numerator.

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given an upper bound ##r## such that ##r{}^2=2+h## for ##h>0##, you can write an equation for a lower upper bound ##s=r-k## such that ##s^2## is 2 plus some positive fraction of ##h##. Then, using the relationships you've established, solve for ##k##.

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4
    Sorry, I should have clarified that step
    ##r_2 = r_1-\frac{r_1^2-2}{r_1+2} = \frac{r_1^2+2r_1-r_1^2+2}{r_1+2}=\frac{2r_1+2}{r_1+2}##
    square
    ##r_2^2 = \frac{4(r_1^2+2r_1+1)}{(r_1+2)^2} = \frac{2(r_1^2+4r_1+4)+2(r_1^2-2)}{(r_1+2)^2}= 2+\frac{2(r_1^2-2)}{(r_1+2)^2}##.

6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Thanks for responding! Is there something missing in my proof where I need this to complete it? When you say the relationship do you mean my value of ##r_2## or something else? I'm not entirely sure I understand.

7. Apr 14, 2016 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. I think with the extra steps you've put in, your proof now looks good.

8. Apr 14, 2016 #7
    Thanks for taking the time looking it over!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted