Rational ratio of frequencies leads to isolating integral of motion

1. Hello All,

Padmanabhan's discussion of dynamics mentions that in general the two dimensional harmonic oscillator fills the surface of a two torus.

He further notes that there will be an extra isolating integral of motion provided that the ratio of frequencies is a rational number.

This last part is not still clear to me.

Can someone please explain why a rational ratio of frequencies make a candidate integral of motion single valued and therefore the motion takes place on a closed (one dimensional) curve on the surface of the two torus?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Thanks that you care about this question.

Well I got the answer later from another source.

My confusion was that in the case of a rational ratio, even though periodic, we have still multiple (finitely) values and not a single valued variable.

Turns out that like the nth root of unity in complex plane we can define a single valued function over a multiple (finitely) valued variable. And therefore in the case of a rational ratio we have a new isolating integral of motion which limits the dimension of phase space to just one instead of four.

Clearly in the case of the irrational ration you cannot have a periodic valued variable and therefore the phase space dynamic covers the whole surface of the two torus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted