Rc circuit multiple choice don't understand why this is the correct answer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of short circuits and open circuits in relation to a circuit with a capacitor and a resistor. The speaker is trying to understand the expressions for the current in different scenarios and how to recognize a short circuit. They mention using loop and junction rules, and applying Ohm's law, but are still confused. The expert explains that a short circuit is a zero resistance path and provides examples of when a capacitor and inductor act as short circuits and open circuits.
madah12

Homework Statement

http://physics.ku.edu.kw/LectureNotes/TheoryCourses/PHYS102/ExamPapers/y0910-2-md2.pdf
page 6 number

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how they got the answers ? i applied the loop and junction rule but they only give me more variables to work with
but shouldn't I after a long time be zero? i mean the only answer i can think of is infinity...

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought of trying to use ohms law as emf=I(total resistence) but the problem is i don't know how to treat the capacitor
also by loop rule i know that whatever change of voltage occurred in the capacitor it is the same as I through the resistance *3R) but still all of that is useless

At time t=0 the capacitor "looks like" a short circuit. So what is the expression for the current Io?

After a long time, the capacitor will have charged up to its final value and will "look like" an open circuit (no further current will flow through it). So what's the expression for the current then?

I don't know what is a short circuit i know that when the capacitor is full it will be I=e/5R because there is no current in the capacitor , cna you teach me what is a short circuit? it isn't in the book
unviersity physics by young and freedman

A short circuit implies a zero ohm (or at least very low resistance) path, often bypassing current around other components. In your circuit, when the switch is first closed and the capacitor is initially uncharged, it "looks like" a zero ohm path for the current -- it "shorts" the 3R resistance so no current will flow through it, all of the current going through the capacitor instead.

how can I recognize a short circuit? btw now i see why the answer if 5/2 but i now want to learn how to recognize a short circuit

As I stated, a short circuit is a zero resistance path between nodes.

Any unbroken length of wire is a short circuit between its end points. In a DC circuit an uncharged capacitor is initially a short circuit, eventually an open circuit, while an inductor is initially an open circuit and eventually a short circuit.

You use short circuits and open circuits to look at what would happen to some parts of a curcuit. You normaly see this when you study thevenin's theorem, kirchhoff's laws etc.

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electronic circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to control the flow of electric current and store electric charge.

What is the purpose of an RC circuit?

The purpose of an RC circuit is to filter, amplify, or attenuate an electrical signal, depending on the configuration and values of the resistor and capacitor. It can also be used to create a time delay in a circuit.

Why is it important to understand RC circuits?

RC circuits are fundamental components in many electronic devices, such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. Understanding how they work is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

Why might someone not understand the correct answer to a multiple-choice question about an RC circuit?

There could be several reasons why someone may not understand the correct answer to a multiple-choice question about an RC circuit. Some possible reasons could be a lack of knowledge about basic electrical concepts, confusion about the question or answer choices, or not fully understanding the properties and behavior of RC circuits.

What can I do to better understand the correct answer to a multiple-choice question about an RC circuit?

To better understand the correct answer to a multiple-choice question about an RC circuit, you can review the basics of electrical circuits and RC circuits, practice solving problems and analyzing circuits, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.