1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuits: Voltage as a function of time

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is an RC circuit with a 6 V battery, a 100 Ohm resistor, and 2.0 microFarad capacitor. At time t = 0, the switch is closed. While this happens, an ammeter measures the current through the resistor. At t = 0.000139 s the ammeter finds that 0.030 A is flowing through the resistor.

a) At this instant in time (t = 0.139 milliseconds) what is the charge on the capacitor?

2. Relevant equations

V(T) = E (1-e^(-t/RC))
    Q(t) = CE(1-e^-t/RC)

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the equation for t = 0.139, but I was wondering whether or not the stuff about the ammeter measuring the current matters? I mean, if so, then I = 0.030 A and I = R/V and Q = CV, so I could also find the charge that way, but when I do that, I get two different answers. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    I don't think the part about the current through the resistor is important - it's different from the current and charge on the capacitor. I think. :)

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    u find the voltage across the resistor
    then u subtract it from the emf of the battery to find the voltage across the capacitor
    then u multiply that voltage with the capacitance to get charge

5. Jan 20, 2008 #4
    But the formula is for V_C, the voltage across the capacitor.

And there is a separate formula for charge - the Q(t) one. I tried solving both and got completely different answers (as in I solved the voltage one then did Q = CV).

I don't think that works, esalihm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?