RC Time Constant Question (Easy)

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a 12.8 micro-F capacitor connected through a 0.890 M-ohm resistor to a constant potential difference of 60.0 v. The task is to compute the charge on the capacitor and the charging currents at various times after the connections are made. The student's calculations for the charge values were correct, but there was an issue with the fourth charging current value. It was pointed out that there may have been too much round off in the calculations, resulting in a significant difference in the final answer. Additionally, it was suggested to use the formula I=(I_0)e^{-t/(RC)} to calculate the current at a specific time.
beanus

Homework Statement

A 12.8 micro-F capacitor is connected through a 0.890 M-ohm resistor to a constant potential difference of 60.0 v.

Homework Equations

q=CE(1-e^(-t/(RC))
i=(E/R)-(q/(RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

Compute the charge on the capacitor at the following times after the connections are made: 0 s, 5.0 s, 10.0 s, 20.0 s, and 100.0 s.

Solved for q and according to masteringphysics (the homework program we use) I got all the q values correct. Here they are:
0 , 2.7e−4 , 4.5e−4 , 6.4e−4 , 7.7e−4

Second part, and this is the part that I need help on. I think I'm right but the program says I'm incorrect on the fourth term

Compute the charging currents at the same instants. Calculated i:
6.74e-5 , 4.37e-5 , 2.79e-5 , 1.12e-5 , -1.76e-7

It says "Term 4: Very close. Check the rounding and number of significant figures in your final answer."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably too much too much round off.

SammyS said:
Probably too much too much round off.

So am I right?

beanus said:
So am I right?

Close to right.

A small round off in E/R makes a big difference and/or q/(RC) makes a big % difference in E/R - q/(RC)when E/R and q/(RC) are nearly the same size.

The correct answer for current @ 20.0 s is ≈ 11.65 μA .

Your answer for 100 seconds is nonsense, since it's negative.

BTW:

Another way to calculate the current at time, t, is to use [itex]I=(I_0)e^{-t/(RC)}[/itex], where I0 = E/R

I would first check my calculations and make sure I am using the correct equations and values. It is possible that there was a rounding error or incorrect use of significant figures in the calculation for the fourth term. I would also double check the units to make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.

If everything checks out, I would consider the physical meaning of the answer. It is unusual for the charging current to decrease over time, so I would question whether the negative value makes sense in this context. It is possible that there is a mistake in the problem statement or in the given values.

If the issue still cannot be resolved, I would consult with a colleague or the instructor for further clarification or assistance. It is important to always double check and verify results in scientific calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the formula for calculating RC time constant?

The formula for calculating RC time constant is RC = Resistance x Capacitance.

2. How do you calculate the time constant for a circuit with multiple resistors and capacitors?

To calculate the time constant for a circuit with multiple resistors and capacitors, you can use the formula RC = (R1+R2+...) x (C1+C2+...). This takes into account the total resistance and capacitance of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of RC time constant in a circuit?

RC time constant is a measure of the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its total voltage or current. It is important in understanding the behavior and response time of a circuit.

4. How does changing the resistance or capacitance affect the RC time constant?

In general, increasing the resistance or capacitance will increase the RC time constant, meaning it will take longer for the capacitor to charge or discharge. Conversely, decreasing the resistance or capacitance will decrease the RC time constant.

5. Can the RC time constant be used to determine the time it takes for a capacitor to fully charge or discharge?

Yes, the RC time constant can be used to determine the time it takes for a capacitor to fully charge or discharge. However, it should be noted that the capacitor will never fully charge or discharge, as it takes an infinite amount of time to reach 100% of its voltage or current. The time constant only represents the time it takes to reach 63.2% of its total voltage or current.