Re: just an idea about quotes?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of setting up a page that notifies users of who has quoted them, making it easier to respond to questions and keep track of discussions involving them. The idea is inspired by other forums and there are add-ons available for VB code. The conversation ends with the suggestion to close the thread if there is no interest in the feature.
Schrodinger's Dog
This is an idea I've seen from other forums, so I know it's possible to do it via VB code and wondered if their are any plans to do something like it here?

Is it possible to set up a page that tells you who quoted you, so that you can respond to any questions from people more easily, and have a quick at your finger tip guide to who's discussing stuff, with you in mind? Feel free to smear me in honey and set fire to me. Just thought it was a really useful feature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the time when you've been quoted it'll be in a thread you've posted in. I always keep track of those by subscribing to them, then you can view your subscribed threads. I think I've been quoted only twice in threads I've never posted in as far as I know.

Kurdt said:
Most of the time when you've been quoted it'll be in a thread you've posted in. I always keep track of those by subscribing to them, then you can view your subscribed threads. I think I've been quoted only twice in threads I've never posted in as far as I know.

Indeed, but 'I find having both easier. Helps me keep track of who's replied to me specifically and prioritise. Anyway I think there are some add ons out there for VB that do it, not sure?

Is there any interest in this, if not might as well close this thread. Thanks anyway was just an idea.

1. What is the purpose of using quotes in scientific research?

The purpose of using quotes in scientific research is to accurately and ethically give credit to the original source of information or ideas. It allows readers to easily distinguish between the author's own words and those of other researchers, and it also adds credibility to the research by showing that it is based on existing knowledge and evidence.

2. How do I properly format quotes in my research paper?

In most scientific fields, quotes should be formatted in the same way as regular text, with double quotation marks around the quoted material and a citation at the end of the quote. However, it's always best to consult the specific style guide recommended by your academic institution or publisher for specific formatting guidelines.

3. Can I paraphrase instead of using quotes?

Yes, paraphrasing is often a better option than using direct quotes. It involves restating the original source's ideas or information in your own words, while still giving credit to the original source. This allows you to integrate the information into your own writing style and avoids potential plagiarism issues.

4. How much of my research paper should be direct quotes?

Ideally, direct quotes should only make up a small percentage of your research paper. Your own writing and analysis should make up the majority of the paper, and quotes should only be used when necessary to support your arguments or illustrate a point. Overusing quotes can make your paper seem less original and can detract from your own writing.

5. Can I use quotes from non-scientific sources in my research?

In general, it is best to avoid using quotes from non-scientific sources in your research. However, in some cases, it may be appropriate to use quotes from reputable sources such as government reports or expert opinions. It's important to critically evaluate the credibility and relevance of any source before using a quote from it in your paper.