Re-parametrization of Geodesics: Can You Confirm?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bloby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Geodesics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bloby
Messages
112
Reaction score
8
Hello.

If I find a solution of the geodesic equation and I change the parametrization, the new function does not
satisfy this equation for a general re-parametrization. But the world line is the same.

Can you confirm it: does it come from the fact that we usually choose [itex]\nabla_VV=0[/itex] instead of
[itex]\nabla_VV=fV[/itex]for the geodesic equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bloby said:
Hello.

If I find a solution of the geodesic equation and I change the parametrization, the new function does not
satisfy this equation for a general re-parametrization. But the world line is the same.

Can you confirm it: does it come from the fact that we usually choose [itex]\nabla_VV=0[/itex] instead of
[itex]\nabla_VV=fV[/itex]for the geodesic equation?

Yes. Only parameters related by a linear function will satisfy the simple form of geodesic equation. Further, invariant interval (proper time or distance) is one of the possible solutions, so only e.g. aτ+b will work as another parametrization and still satisfy this equation.