RE: physics and Aeronautical science/aerospace

In summary, it is important to have a degree in a related field such as engineering or physics if you want to work in the aerospace industry. A graduate degree is necessary for research positions, particularly in astrophysics. Specializing in astrophysics requires pursuing a physics degree with courses in general relativity, stellar evolution, astronomy, and cosmology, followed by graduate studies. The job opportunities in this field are highly competitive. A master's degree can lead to more specialized skills and potentially higher salaries, but may limit overall employment opportunities. It is recommended to pursue a bachelor's degree first and then make a decision on whether or not to pursue a graduate degree in the field.
varun19
Hi I would like to know wether a degree and phD will help me get an appropriate job for the above fields. Although they are related to physics but i am looking forward to do Astrophysics as an extra module. will this help me get into the required field and whatr is the average payment a person gets in this.

Please help!
Varun

Physics news on Phys.org
The level of education you need will depend on exactly what it is you want to do. A degree in engineering will likely allow you to work as an engineer in the aerospace industry. A degree in physics won't generally qualify you for an engineering position, but it keeps more doors open than many people would have you believe. However, if you're interested in doing research, you really need to get a graduate degree.

Astrophysics isn't just something you pick up as an extra module. To get into this field the best approach is to do a physics degree that allows you to specialize towards your senior year by offering courses in general relativity, stellar evolution, astronomy, cosmology etc. Then you pursue graduate studies in the field. From my understanding, it's highly competative.

Hi again,
I was just thinking about what sort of job best fit astrophysics, what i mean is what sort of job will I get if I go forward with astrophysics and what sort of jobs are available in research. Basically I was planning to carry out reseach on space shuttles, satellites verifying various planets and behaviour of stars and nebulae. It sounds a bit odd but that=s what going in my mind right now.

Choppy thanks for your reply it was really helpful

Varun

Hey choppy I have a question related to that level of education part...what position would a masters degree put me as opposed to a bachelor's? Is it simply better or should I be looking at something specific to do such as research...more specifically I am looking at MS in Aerospace Engineering and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering.

Please keep in mind that I'm not an aerospace engineer.

In general, an M.Sc. gives you more specialized skills. You will likely have some research and development experience and/or advanced coursework that people with a bachelor level education won't have. On the "pro" side, this makes you more desireable as an employee and thus able to negotiate a higher salary. On the "con" side, more specialization generally means less overall employment opportunities as you run the risk of being overqualified for some positions.

Fortunately you don't need to make this kind of decision until your last year or so of undergrad. Do the bachelor's degree, and by your third year, you'll have a pretty good idea of what the field is really like, what research opportunities are available, and whether or not you'll want to pursue graduate work.

1. What is the difference between physics and aeronautical science/aerospace?

Physics is a broad field that studies the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and their interactions. Aeronautical science/aerospace, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of physics to the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. How does physics play a role in aeronautical science/aerospace?

Physics is the foundation of aeronautical science/aerospace. It helps engineers understand the behavior of air and how it interacts with objects in motion, such as airplanes and rockets. The principles of physics also guide the design of aircraft and spacecraft, from the shape and materials used to the propulsion systems.

3. What are some key concepts in physics that are important in aeronautical science/aerospace?

Some key concepts in physics that are important in aeronautical science/aerospace include Newton's laws of motion, Bernoulli's principle, and the laws of thermodynamics. These principles help engineers understand how objects move and interact with their environment, as well as how to optimize performance and efficiency.

4. How do scientists and engineers use physics to improve aerospace technology?

Scientists and engineers use physics to improve aerospace technology by conducting research and experiments to better understand the principles that govern flight. This knowledge is then applied to develop new and more efficient aircraft and spacecraft designs, as well as to improve existing ones.

5. What are some current advancements in physics and aeronautical science/aerospace?

Some current advancements in physics and aeronautical science/aerospace include the development of more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft, the use of advanced materials such as carbon composites, and the exploration of new frontiers in space with missions to Mars and beyond.