RE: Thoughts on existence (& happiness)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of existence and happiness. The poster expresses their interest in the subject and questions the reasons for living day to day, both as individuals and as a species. They suggest that the pursuit of happiness is a driving force for humans, both intellectually and instinctually, and that this may be the origin of religion. The conversation also briefly touches on the restrictions of discussing religion on the forum.
paul_peciak
RE: Thoughts on existence (& happiness)
Sorry I'm not sure if its o.k. to continue a thread, I just find this an interesting subject because it's such a basic question.
What are peoples reasons for living from one day to another? Not only as individual humans but as a whole specie. I'm not even sure if that question justifies my thoughts. My thoughts on this are that we want to satisfy a need to be happy, at a intellectual level and at a primal one...an instinct to survive because humans fear (in a different tangent this i believe is where religion is born... )
...and for humans to be happy in whatever it is they do with their own lives - everyone has their own trip in life :biggrin: .

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not ok to continue a locked thread, but it sounds like you want to discuss something different.

Just a reminder, discussions of religion are not allowed here except with very strict restrictions, as in the thread currently in GD, which is more a discussion of political ramifications.

Last edited:
It's not a locked thread, this topic just stems off the other thread - and thought it deserved its own thread:tongue2:

Last edited:
paul_peciak said:
It's not a locked thread, this topic just stems off the other thread - and thought it deserved its own thread:tongue2:
The thread you linked to above is locked.

I meant "thoughts on existence"

1. What is the meaning of existence?

The meaning of existence is a philosophical question that has been debated throughout history. Many believe that the meaning of existence is subjective and can differ from person to person. Some may find meaning in relationships, achievements, or personal beliefs.

2. Is happiness the purpose of existence?

This is a highly debated question and there is no single answer. Some may argue that the pursuit of happiness is a natural human instinct and therefore, it could be considered a purpose of existence. However, others may argue that existence can have multiple purposes or no purpose at all.

3. Can one find happiness without existence?

Existence is a fundamental aspect of human life, and it is difficult to imagine experiencing happiness without existence. However, some may argue that the concept of happiness can exist without physical existence, such as in the afterlife or in the memories of loved ones.

4. How does one's thoughts on existence impact their happiness?

One's thoughts on existence can greatly impact their happiness. If someone believes that life has no meaning or purpose, they may struggle to find happiness and fulfillment. On the other hand, those who believe in the value and purpose of existence may have a more positive outlook and find joy in the present moment.

5. Can scientific research help us understand the concept of existence and its relationship to happiness?

Science can provide insights and theories on the concept of existence and its impact on our happiness. Studies on the human brain and behavior can help us understand how our thoughts and beliefs shape our perception of existence and impact our well-being. However, the ultimate answer to this question may still lie in the realm of philosophy and personal beliefs.