Reaaranging a Bernoulli Equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging an equation to graphically show that the hole diameter is inversely proportional to the sink time in an experiment. The equation diametre=1/t is mentioned and the goal is to incorporate it to show the inverse relationship within the equation. Different equations and changes are suggested, including a differential equation based on the Bournoulli equation to represent the velocity at the drain. The conversation also mentions finding a way to show the time affected by the diameter.
LemoneyF

Homework Statement

How can I rearrange this equation to graphically show that hole diametre is inversely proportional to sink time? So my experiment results show a nice diametre=1/t , and I would now like to take the equation I've come up with to show this relationship within the equation somehow. I was thinking the obvious way to do this would be to move the hole diametre on its own somehow and have time in the denominator of a fraction, I am not really sure.

Its not meant to be a worked equation, just show the inverse relationship in the equation.

Changing the velocity on the sink time side into an s/t gives a time to play around with, and changing the velocity on the cup side into a flow rate/cross sectional area gives a diametre.

Homework Equations

diametre=1/t

P1 + 1/2pv1^2 = P2 + 1/2pv2^2

Applying equation changes-

P1 + 1/2p(s/t)^2 = P2 + 1/2p(Q / pi x 1/2 diametre^2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not correct, but was thinking something along-

P1 + 1/2p (pi x 1/2 diametre^2)^2 = P2 + 1/2p (Q / (s/t) )

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the experiment, you are draining a sink of liquid and wish to show the time to drain is is inversely proportional to the diameter of the drain.

Hint: Write a differential equation that equates the outflow of liquid to the change in height of the liquid's surface in the sink. Solve it which results in the liquid level as a function of time. The differential equation would be based on the Bournoulli equation to represent the velocity at the drain. You will see how the time is affected by the diameter.

What is the Bernoulli equation and why is it important?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid flowing in a continuous, steady manner. It is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations, such as in pipes, pumps, and airplanes.

What is the formula for the Bernoulli equation?

The formula for the Bernoulli equation is P1 + ½ρv12 + ρgh1 = P2 + ½ρv22 + ρgh2, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the elevation.

How do you rearrange the Bernoulli equation?

To rearrange the Bernoulli equation, simply isolate the variables of interest on one side of the equation and move all other terms to the other side. For example, if you want to solve for velocity, you would rearrange the equation to v = √[(2(P1 - P2)+2ρgh)/ρ].

What are the units for the Bernoulli equation?

The units for the Bernoulli equation depend on the units used for each variable. Typically, pressure is measured in Pascals (Pa), velocity in meters per second (m/s), density in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3), and elevation in meters (m). Therefore, the units for the equation would be Pa + (m/s)2 + (kg/m3)(m)(m/s2) = Pa + (m/s)2 + (kg/m3)(m)(m/s2).

What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation has many practical applications, including calculating the lift force on an airplane wing, designing water pumps and turbines, analyzing the flow of blood in the human body, and predicting the behavior of fluids in industrial processes such as oil pipelines and chemical reactors.