Reaction Force, find tension, a in the tangential, or alpha

In summary, the problem involves finding the reaction force on bearing A in a system with a long slender bar and a mass attached to a pulley. Using equations for torque, forces in the x and y directions, and the relationship between tangential acceleration and angular acceleration, the reaction force can be solved for. The solution also requires considering the direction of acceleration and rotation, and correctly assigning positive and negative signs.
Jonski

Homework Statement

The diagram shows the instant when a long slender bar of mass 4.9 kg and length 4.9 m is horizontal. At this instant the mass m= 6.5 kg has a vertical velocity of 4.0 m/s.

If the pulley has negligible mass and all friction effects may be ignored, what is the magnitude of the reaction force on the bearing A
problem_Moodle.gif

2. The attempt at a solution
So I split the reaction force into its x and y components Rx and Ry.

For Mass m:
T - mg = ma

For the bar:
Sum of the moments from A:
let mass of bar = B
length of bar = L
B*g*L/2 - T.L = B*L^2/3*α

Sum of forces in the x direction:
Rx = B*a=B*ω^2*L/2

Sum of forces in the y direction:
Ry - Bg+T=B*(-a) = -B*α*L/2

I solved and got Rx = 8N, however not sure how to find tension, a in the tangential, or alpha. I have tried simultaneous equations to find them but keep getting them wrong. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Jonski.

You probably need to show your attempt at solving the simultaneous equations in order for us to find your error.

Something to think about: Is the "a"in your equation T - mg = ma the same "a" as in your Rx and Ry equations?

Hi TSny :smile:

I get Rx = 32 N (towards right) and Ry = 37.46 N (downwards) . The magnitude of reaction force equal to 49.27 N .

Are you getting the same result ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi TSny :smile:

I get Rx = 32 N (towards right) and Ry = 37.46 N (downwards) . The magnitude of reaction force equal to 49.27 N .

Are you getting the same result ?
Hi Tanya.
I get different values for Rx and Ry. For Rx, are you sure you're using the correct value for the speed of the center of mass of the rod?

Likes Tanya Sharma
Okay .

Rx = 8N (towards right) and Ry = 17.35 N (downwards) ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Okay .

Rx = 8N (towards right) and Ry = 17.35 N (downwards) ?
OK for Rx. But I still get a different answer for Ry.

I will show you my working .

Denoting mass of bar as M , length as L , mass of block as m ,

For block of mass m , ##mg - T = ma ##

Writing torque equation for the rod about the bearing, ##Mg\frac{L}{2} - TL = \frac{ML^2}{3}\alpha##

##\alpha = \frac{a}{L}##

Solving this I get ##T = \frac{Mmg}{2(3m-M)}## and ##\alpha = \frac{3g}{2L} - \frac{3mg}{2L(3m-M)}## .

Now writing torque equation for the rod about the CM , ## R_y\frac{L}{2} - T\frac{L}{2} = \frac{ML^2}{12}\alpha## .

From this I get ##R_y = \frac{Mg}{4} + \frac{Mmg}{4(3m-M)}##

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
For block of mass m , ##mg - T = ma ##
So, positive value of ##a## implies what direction of acceleration for the block?

Writing torque equation for the rod about the bearing, ##Mg\frac{L}{2} - TL = \frac{ML^2}{3}\alpha##
So, positive value for ##\alpha## implies what direction of tangential acceleration for the left end of the rod?

##\alpha = \frac{a}{L}##

Does ##\alpha = \frac{a}{L}## or does ##\alpha = -\frac{a}{L}##?

Likes Tanya Sharma
So,the only problem in post#8 is relationship between ##\alpha## and a ?

##\alpha = -\frac{a}{L}##

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
So,the only problem in post#8 is relationship between ##\alpha## and ##a## ?

##\alpha = -\frac{a}{L}## .
Yes, your first two equations in #8 look fine. I have not checked your algebra for solving for T, etc.

TSny said:
Yes, your first two equations in #8 look fine. I have not checked your algebra for solving for T, etc.
Also, your equation for torque about CM looks good.

Are you getting ##R_y = 28 N## ?

Some doubts regarding why did we write ##\alpha = -\frac{a}{L}## ?

It is because positive value of 'a' suggests block is going downwards which in turn means the rod is rotating clockwise . But since we have considered anticlockwise positive , we write ##a = -\alpha L## .

Not sure , if this is the correct reasoning . You remember I once made an entire thread on sign issues. I am still doing some really sloppy work :olduhh: .

How did you think about signs in this problem?

Last edited:
I got 28 N too. Your reasoning for why ##a## and ##\alpha## have opposite signs is the same as how I thought about it.

Likes Tanya Sharma

1. What is reaction force and why is it important in physics?

Reaction force is the force exerted by an object in response to an action or force applied to it. It is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the movement and behavior of objects in the physical world.

2. How do you find tension in a system?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. To find tension in a system, you can use Newton's second law which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object equals its mass times its acceleration (ΣF = ma). By setting up equations for each object in the system and solving for tension, you can determine the tension in the string or cable.

3. What does the term "tangential" mean in relation to forces?

The term "tangential" refers to a force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object at the point of contact. In other words, it is a force that is parallel to the surface of the object at the point of contact. This type of force is important in understanding circular motion and is often seen in objects moving in a circular path.

4. How is alpha (α) related to forces?

Alpha, or α, is the symbol for angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. In terms of forces, alpha is related to torque, which is the rotational equivalent of force. When a force is applied to an object, it can cause a change in angular velocity, resulting in an angular acceleration.

5. Can you give an example of a reaction force in everyday life?

One example of reaction force in everyday life is when you push a door to open it. The force you apply to the door is the action force, and the door pushes back on you with an equal and opposite force, which is the reaction force. This allows you to open the door and enter a room.