Reactions of Halogens with Metals

In summary, the two experiments involving Cu (s) and Br2 (aq) and Cu (s) and I2 (methanol) were conducted to test the ability of these substances to oxidize copper metal. The net ionic equation for the reaction between Cu (s) and Br2 (aq) was recorded as 2Cu (s) + Br2 (aq) -> 2CuBr (s), but it is uncertain if this is correct or what to do with the second equation involving I2 (methanol). It is possible that a precipitate could form between Cu2+ and I2, but it is unsure if it would be CuI or CuBr. The lab notes suggest that Br2 reduces
tevatron1
To test the ability of Br2 and I2 to oxidize copper metal, the reactions take place between Br2water and I2 solution with copper:

Cu (s) + Br2 (aq) -> Cu2+ (aq) + 2Br- (Aq)

Cu(s) + I2 (methanol) -> Cu2+ (methanol) + 2I- (methanol).

Write the net ionic equations describing the results of these two experiments.

I believe that the Cu (s) should oxidize, and thus color change. Particularly with Br2 water (bromide water), so I recorded the net ionic equation as 2Cu (s) + Br2 (aq) -> 2CuBr(s)

However, I'm unsure if this is correct or what to do with the second equation.

Has anyone ever done these reactions or know them off hand? Is it possible that a precipiate could form between Cu2+ and I2?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why not CuI?

Actually I am sure about CuI, but I am not convinced you will get CuBr and not CuBr2.

Borek said:
Why not CuI?

Actually I am sure about CuI, but I am not convinced you will get CuBr and not CuBr2.

Well, CuI would have to be a solid. And I'm not convinced a solid was formed in this case. I suppose my main question is if the reaction between Cu and I2 results in a color change to Cu, would the product be a solid? CuI would have to be a solid to be written as such in the net ionic equation.

The lab notes predict Br2 reduces to Br2-, hence my writing CuBr

1. What happens when halogens react with metals?

When halogens react with metals, a chemical reaction occurs. The halogen atoms gain electrons from the metal atoms, forming negatively charged ions called halides. The metal atoms, in turn, lose electrons and become positively charged ions. This results in the formation of an ionic compound.

2. How do halogens and metals react with each other?

Halogens and metals react through a process called redox (reduction-oxidation) reaction. The halogen atoms, which have a higher electronegativity, gain electrons from the metal atoms, which have a lower electronegativity. This transfer of electrons results in the formation of ionic compounds.

3. What are the products of the reaction between halogens and metals?

The products of the reaction between halogens and metals are ionic compounds known as metal halides. The specific product formed depends on the specific halogen and metal involved in the reaction. For example, sodium chloride (table salt) is formed when sodium metal reacts with chlorine gas.

4. What are some examples of reactions between halogens and metals?

Some examples of reactions between halogens and metals include the reaction between sodium metal and chlorine gas to form sodium chloride, magnesium metal and bromine gas to form magnesium bromide, and copper metal and iodine gas to form copper iodide. These reactions are also commonly used in laboratory experiments to demonstrate redox reactions.

5. What are the properties of metal halides formed from reactions between halogens and metals?

Metal halides formed from reactions between halogens and metals have several important properties. They are typically ionic compounds with high melting and boiling points, are soluble in water, and have a crystalline structure. They also tend to be highly reactive, making them useful in a variety of industrial and laboratory applications.