Reactions of Halogens with Metals

  • Thread starter Thread starter tevatron1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metals Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
tevatron1
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
To test the ability of Br2 and I2 to oxidize copper metal, the reactions take place between Br2water and I2 solution with copper:

Cu (s) + Br2 (aq) -> Cu2+ (aq) + 2Br- (Aq)

Cu(s) + I2 (methanol) -> Cu2+ (methanol) + 2I- (methanol).

Write the net ionic equations describing the results of these two experiments.

I believe that the Cu (s) should oxidize, and thus color change. Particularly with Br2 water (bromide water), so I recorded the net ionic equation as 2Cu (s) + Br2 (aq) -> 2CuBr(s)

However, I'm unsure if this is correct or what to do with the second equation.

Has anyone ever done these reactions or know them off hand? Is it possible that a precipiate could form between Cu2+ and I2?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why not CuI?

Actually I am sure about CuI, but I am not convinced you will get CuBr and not CuBr2.
 
Borek said:
Why not CuI?

Actually I am sure about CuI, but I am not convinced you will get CuBr and not CuBr2.

Well, CuI would have to be a solid. And I'm not convinced a solid was formed in this case. I suppose my main question is if the reaction between Cu and I2 results in a color change to Cu, would the product be a solid? CuI would have to be a solid to be written as such in the net ionic equation.

The lab notes predict Br2 reduces to Br2-, hence my writing CuBr