Substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptiple

In summary, this conversation is discussing the different reactions that can happen when two different substances are mixed together. The first substance is a reducing agent and the second substance is not. The first substance will not react with the second substance and the second substance will react with the first substance.
jaumzaum
I was trying to solve the following exercise:

Choose the option that has the pair of substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptiple
a)Br2(aq) + NaCl(aq)
b) Cl2(aq) + NaI(aq)
c) H2(g) + MgSO4(aq)
d) Ag(c) + ZnSO4(aq)
e) HCl(aq) + Cu(c)

I would say if the salt was an alkali salt, a would discolor the solution (Br2 is brown/red), as Br2 + H2O -> HBrO + HBr, and the equilibrum tends to form the products when the solution is basic. But the salt is NaCl, so nothing would happen
The second one I would say no change would be noticed
The third I would say some of the SO4-- could reduce to SO2 or some of the Mg++ to Mg, oxydating the H2 to H2O, but in a very low scale, so nothing would be noticed too
For the third, as ZnSO4 forms a acid solution, I would say some of the silver would oxydate to Ag+, even silver being a noble metal. This will occur with a low velocity but I would say it could be noticed.
For the last one, as Cu isn't a noble metal, I would say it will fastly oxidate to Cu2+, and the solution will color to blue, easily noticed

I chose e as the answer, but by book is saying it is b. Why is that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The reaction in b) will make sodium chloride and iodine. The iodine would give the solution a very dark brown colour that would be hard to miss. The answer isn't e) because that reaction doesn't happen. Copper is one of the few metal which are actually less reactive than hydrogen, so it can't replace it in the HCl.

Thanks, I saw where was my mistake now,i thought ag and cu had negative reducing potentials, not positive (even ag being a noble metal)
Last question
In another exercise i have the following reaction
H2SO4(l) + NaCl(c)
The answer is that it forms a gas
But I searched the reducing potential of the reaction
SO4 2- + 4H+ + 2e- -> H2SO3 + H2O
This reaction is in atkins' book , and i presume H2SO4 should be H2O and SO2
Anyway, the standard potential is +0.17v, assuming H+ = 1mol/l and so2 = 1 mol/l, which is not any absurd
And this potential is not even closer to the potential required to oxidate cl- (1.36 v), or the one to oxidate oh- to H2O and O2 (0.4v), so in an aquous solution i would say nothing would occur. But it says H2SO4 is liquid (=pure), what happens in this case?

The correct answer is b) Cl2(aq) + NaI(aq). This is because when chlorine (Cl2) is added to a solution of sodium iodide (NaI), a visible reaction occurs where the solution turns brown/yellow and produces iodine (I2) and sodium chloride (NaCl). This reaction can be easily perceived by the change in color and formation of a precipitate. In contrast, the other options do not produce a noticeable change in color or formation of a precipitate, making the chemical reaction less perceptible. It is important to carefully consider the reactants and products in a chemical reaction to determine if it will be easily perceptible or not.

1. What are substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible?

Substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible are those that undergo a visible change when they react with another substance. This change can be observed through changes in color, formation of bubbles or gas, temperature change, or formation of a precipitate.

2. What causes a substance's chemical reaction to be easily perceptible?

The ease of perception of a substance's chemical reaction is dependent on the nature of the reactants and the type of reaction taking place. Some reactions may be more exothermic, resulting in a noticeable temperature change, while others may produce a distinct color change due to the formation of a new compound.

3. Can a substance's chemical reaction be easily perceptible even at small quantities?

Yes, a substance's chemical reaction can still be easily perceptible even at small quantities. This is because some reactions can produce significant changes even with a small amount of reactants. For example, a drop of acid on a piece of metal can produce a noticeable fizzing reaction.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when working with substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible. Some reactions may produce toxic gases or strong acids, so proper safety precautions and protective equipment should be used when handling these substances.

5. What is the importance of studying substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible?

Studying substances whose chemical reaction is easily perceptible is important in understanding the fundamental principles of chemistry and how different substances interact with each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science, where chemical reactions play a crucial role in various processes and reactions must be carefully monitored and controlled.