Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Readable images of text and diagrams within a post

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    I would like to post some images of parts of a textbook page (showing some text and diagrams) in the middle of my post in topology (Topology and Analysis forum)

Is there anyway of displaying an (readable) image of text and diagrams within the text of a post to the Topology and Analysis forum or other forums

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

First, use the "New Reply" button at the bottom of a post, or the "New Thread" button at the top or bottom of the list of threads, so you see all the options when you're writing the post.

Scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button, and use it to attach the image file. Beware of the size limits that are shown in the popup window that you get.

This gives you a small preview image at the bottom of your post. The reader has to click on it to expand it. If you also want to display the image at normal size in the body of your post, mouse over the link to the image in the message-editing window, use right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac) to copy the address/location of the image, and paste it between [noparse][/noparse] tags in your post.

If you do this, don't make the image so wide that it causes the page to expand horizontally. People tend to be annoyed if they have to scroll the browser window back and forth to see the whole thing.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks.

After one unsuccessful test (which I wish I could delete!) I have now followed your advice and, yes, definitely works ... thanks

Peter

5. Mar 19, 2014 #4

jtbell

If you can still see the "Edit" button at the bottom of your post, click that. It has "Delete" as one of its options.

6. Mar 19, 2014 #5
    Yes, can see the edit button - clicked on Edit - but no delete option appeared ... at least I cannot see/find it

Peter

7. Mar 19, 2014 #6

Nugatory

It's there... Look a little bit further down.

8. Mar 20, 2014 #7

berkeman

Or just click Report and ask a Mentor to delete it...

9. Mar 20, 2014 #8

jtbell

Here's what I get when I click "Edit" on my post above:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67837&stc=1&d=1395301422.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. Mar 20, 2014 #9
    Thanks ... But for some reason the only buttons available to me a clicking edit are Save, GO Advanced and Cancel

Peter

11. Mar 20, 2014 #10

jtbell

Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that ordinary users can't delete the first or only post in a thread. So I deleted the thread for you.

12. Mar 20, 2014 #11
    Yes, but I think the lack of delete May be specific to the Analysis and Topology forum - as is the lack of sigma (for the Latex wrap - sigma is missing from the task bar

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook