Question regarding scanned images in texts

1. Some time ago I posted the following:

"Can someone give me an idea of how to include (the scan of) a small diagram - say 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of an A4 page (thus not the whole page) - into a post - in such a way as the diagram is visible to the reader - that is he/she does not have to open a pdf file.

Peter "

I got some helpful answers and began to use the Irfan image editor.

But now I am at a different location and only have access to a Mac.

All I want to do is select a small portion of an A4 pdf and post the selected text as a PNG file in a post - but (really strangely given Mac's reputation) I cannot find software for this simple task.

Can anyone suggest software and a process to do the above.

Hope someone can help.

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Mac OS comes with a Grab utility that you can use to capture a selection from the screen and save it as a TIFF file. Then you can use the Preview utility to convert it to a PNG.

1. Open the PDF file and display the page that you want to capture the image from.

2. Find Grab in the Applications --> Utilities folder, and launch it.

3. From the Capture menu, choose Selection.

4. Drag the mouse over the section of the screen that you want to capture. A window will appear with an image of your selection.

5. From the File menu, choose Save, which saves the image as a TIFF file, in a location you can choose.

6. Quit from Grab.

7. In the Finder, double-click the TIFF file. It should open up in the Mac OS Preview application.

8. From the File menu, choose Export. In the Format dropdown menu, you can choose PNG.

1 person likes this.
  4. Thank you ... Really appreciate your help ...

Peter

5. D H

Staff: Mentor

Use the Help Center!

[​IMG]

The above instructions will drop a file on your desktop labeled "Screen Shot <date> at <time>". That might be good enough. Then again, it might be a bit big. To change the size of the image, open it with Preview, click on Tools and select "Adjust Size ...". Now adjust the size.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Thank you ... That is most helpful advice ... Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted